Brooklands 45th

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Brooklands 45th

Post by Peter-S »

Well, a pretty good day. A lot of great cars in attendance, met up with a few guys off the forum, looked at some old planes and generally had a great day. Well done the organisers.
Took a lot of photos which I will go through later but here is the important one as it means the project 2.8 got there OK :D

ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Re: Brooklands 45th

Post by turbo-mike »

Yes bloody good day good to see you Peter and your Stunning work on your 2.8, only thing spoilt it for me was watching some knobs checking the 280's wings and saying pattern wings, twats like that are why I sold honey my old 280, you don't walk up to some woman stick 2 fingers between her legs and comment on her lady bits. But apart from that it was goo to catch up with old friends.
Mike
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Peter.
Peter-S wrote:Well, a pretty good day. A lot of great cars in attendance, met up with a few guys off the forum, looked at some old planes and generally had a great day. Well done the organisers.
:agree:

Hi Peter,

What a great day ! And the weather held out too...fantastic. I really enjoyed myself. I echo your praise for the organisers :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Peter I was pointed out your car but you were not about at the time to say hello to when I looked over it... is a stunning capri mate :) And I saw the famous "alfie" too. Superb Mike, shame I did not see you too...

So many fantastic capris I was in heavon ! Some standard, some customised, some "purring" and some very "audible" indeed !! Such a fantastic variety and all in one place :D

It was brilliant to eventually meet up with a few of you chaps in the flesh at last ! John and Andrew it was a pleasure meeting up with you en route. Your Capris are every bit as superb as they look in pics I seen. They really are a credit to you both ;)

Was great to convoy with you chaps too along with the other guys we met in their capris too. What a great start to the day :) Neil it was great to meet with you too...another Laquer Red Capri...and what a beauty too. And "that guy" it was good to meet you and your fantastic capri too mate even though it was only a brief hello. Hope to see you at another show.

Am just going through my pictures. Got some cracking photos...don't know what to do with them all :lol:

Andrew, I hope you got home okay mate. You had quite a drive back to Wales, but seeing your 2.8injection now in the flesh it must be a joy to drive such a journey...apart from the boredom of sitting on a motorway !!

Will hold fire with pics. Am sure other guys will have some themselves to post and I cant wait to see them....I may post a couple myself afterwards.

Thank you to all I met today and look forward to seeing you and others at some shows after the new year.

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Peter, it was nice meeting you (briefly) and loved all the great work that you've done on the car. A real credit to you.
What a fantastic day! It was a pleasure to meet all the people from the forum and see all their fabulous cars.
I arrived feeling elated, probably just soaking up the wonderful Brooklands atmosphere. Left feeling dejected after Peter's friend went over my car's bodywork and noticed every single blemish (and pointed out plenty more I wasn't aware of!)..................Still, he gave me a few good tips about painting, so all is forgiven!
Sorry I only had a short chat with ThatGuy as well, but loved your Capri. I didn't see you at all after that, so didn't catch up with you again. Hope your boss won't find out about today! He will when he reads this forum anyway!
Loved Alfie, but didn't see turbo-mike to have a chat about the car. Briefly spoke to your Father though, who was a nice chap and was extremely proud of the car!
John, Nick and Neil all have stunning Lacquer red cars, and I couldn't find anything wrong with any of them. Not that I would have wanted to, anyway!

Sorry if I've missed anyone, but there were so many cars there it was impossible to speak to all the owners.

The highlight for me was being part of the 5 Capri convoy on the way in. Brilliant! :)

All the cars were fantastic, and it was an absolutely amazing day. Credit must go to the organisers, the Surrey Capri Club, for organising the event. Well done!

Hope to catch up with you all at another show.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

peers.dupp wrote:I arrived feeling elated, probably just soaking up the wonderful Brooklands atmosphere. Left feeling dejected after Peter's friend went over my car's bodywork and noticed every single blemish (and pointed out plenty more I wasn't aware of!)
Crikey O'Reilly Andrew,

Phew...Thank God he never went over mine cause if that's the verdict he gave yours mate (which I find remarkable judging by how immaculate it really is) then I don't stand a chance fella... I had better get a re-spray now and be done with it :lol: Sounds like you got some decent advice from him though mate which cant be a bad thing.

I got some great tips from you and John today. Thanks. I loved that boot panel you showed us. What a brilliant idea. Love your re-carpeted parcel shelf too with that acoustic carpet. Looks fantastic. Has really inspired me to ditch my speaker holed one and get a standard one instead...with some nice carpet to suit ;)

John definitely inspired me to get a replacement radio too after seeing the fantastic one he bought recently from that tip off from you. In fact he offered me up his old one he repaired. John if you are watching I will probably take you up on that mate...even without the knobs. I have never liked my audioline one.

I have already found a nice spot on the lounge wall for my framed 45th Brooklands photograph. Mrs F is "elated" it is now hanging on our wall. I agree with her ;) ;)

All the best

Nick
peers.dupp wrote:The highlight for me was being part of the 5 Capri convoy on the way in. Brilliant!
Yes wasn't it just great. It was a pleasure to have you as my rear gunner fella :)

All the best mate,

Nick
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew, don't worry mate. As you will have gathered my friend works in a body shop so he's trained to spot a repair and a paint job - he was doing it in the bus museum too :lol:
Your car is grand and I think Mick felt a bit guilty for having mentioned 'a bit too much'. Most of us mere mortals never notice!
Nice to make your acquaintance and hopefully catch yo again some time.
Nick, I had a look over your Laser - very nice but much like you with mine there was 'no one home' when I had a nose.
Mike, yes enjoyed our chat and I know what you mean on some of the over enthusiastic sorts. All a bit pointless really but there you go.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Great pics, JC, thanks for posting.

I missed the photo session on the banking, and wasn't sure if it had taken place. Your photos prove that it did happen after all!

I didn't see your car parked up. Judging by your photo it looks like you were parked up around the back on the grass opposite the Mansfield club. I caught sight of the back of your car as you were leaving! Looked great from what little I saw!

Fordoholic Nick wrote:I have already found a nice spot on the lounge wall for my framed 45th Brooklands photograph. Mrs F is "elated" it is now hanging on our wall. I agree with her ;) ;)
Nick,
I'm glad you and John pointed out the stall selling the photos as I would have missed it otherwise. I must walk around with my eyes closed! Aren't the photos amazing? I've just been looking at mine, it's a nice memento of a great day. And I kept my fingers on the steering wheel this time!

Andrew.
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Yeah was tucked away at the back. Was a little late setting off so got a crappy spot :( Only live 40mins away too! I was quite lucky catching the photos on the bank, I'd just sat down to eat my burger and saw a few cars moving, so went to investigate. Thanks for the compliment, I spent most of yesterday polishing and painting etc, as well a bunch of nights during the week too!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote:Andrew, don't worry mate. As you will have gathered my friend works in a body shop so he's trained to spot a repair and paint job.......I think Mick felt a bit guilty for having mentioned 'a bit too much'.
Peter,
In all honesty, it was interesting talking to Mick, and it's always helpful to have an unbiased, knowledgeable opinion from somebody who works in the trade and tells it like it is. Boy, does he know his stuff!

I gained lots of info from him and I now know what to look for in the paintwork to identify what is hidden underneath a glossy paintjob.

However, next time I meet Mick, I'll be sure to hide my car under a cover!

Andrew.
NeilL
Car(s): 1984 Laquer Red 2.8i Special.

Post by NeilL »

Hi all
What a great day for any fan of the Capri! It was good to meet some of you from the forum and see your fantastic cars. I can't believe that there were any negative comments about your car Andrew! If mine was half as tidy as yours I would be a very proud man. I have some work to do on mine over the winter now but I'm glad that I have a strong base to start with. Keep enjoying those Cars guys.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

-JC- wrote:I was quite lucky catching the photos on the bank, I'd just sat down to eat my burger and saw a few cars moving, so went to investigate.
You were lucky to see the photo session then. I can't be as on the ball as you, as I too saw a few cars moving, but I thought they were just leaving early! I didn't hear any announcements about it or anything.

One of the things that caught my eye about the back of your car was the rear lights, which you've must have modified since you took the photos in your 'member's cars' thread, and you've added some reversing lights under the bumper. A nice retro look, I think.

I just managed to grab a photo as you were leaving!

Andrew.
Big Mike
Donator
Donator
Car(s): No Capri at the moment but will bounce back one day!

Post by Big Mike »

peers.dupp wrote:
Peter-S wrote:Andrew, don't worry mate. As you will have gathered my friend works in a body shop so he's trained to spot a repair and paint job.......I think Mick felt a bit guilty for having mentioned 'a bit too much'.
Peter,
In all honesty, it was interesting talking to Mick, and it's always helpful to have an unbiased, knowledgeable opinion from somebody who works in the trade and tells it like it is. Boy, does he know his stuff!

I gained lots of info from him and I now know what to look for in the paintwork to identify what is hidden underneath a glossy paintjob.

However, next time I meet Mick, I'll be sure to hide my car under a cover!

Andrew.
I'm glad you posted that reply Andrew, as to be honest the hackles on my neck rose when you were initially recounting someone pulling your car to bits - I shall try and wind my neck in a bit now, suffice to say that the one thing I can't STAND are the high horse brigade who see fit to patronise and pick over someone's pride and joy, we can't all be millionaires parading around in concourse winning original cars - as much as I'm sure we'd all like to.

Maybe you'd asked for an opinion, I don't know, I suppose that makes a difference but your car is a credit to you sir, and your enthusiasm for the marque and your contributions made here are worth far more to the majority of us than some opinionated, tactless know-it-all.

Keep up the good work mate, Rant Over! ;)

Mike.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Glad you all had a good day

I prefer that people don't point out things on my car unless I ask them for an opinion :)

A chap I know is terrible for it with peoples cars I get embarassed for them :x
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Phew, the atmosphere is getting tense in here!

Thanks for your comments guys. As has been said, there are plenty of visitors at every car show who will condemn, loudly, to everyone within hearing distance exhibitor's cars and give their opinion to everyone who didn't ask for it and really don't want to hear it! The vast majority of show visitors do not care one bit if a radiator cowling has been fitted with a slot headed screw when it should have a Philips, but there they are, sounding off attempting to appear knowledgeable to other visitors. Those people ruin everyone else's enjoyment of a good car show.

I have to say that Mick's comments were not intended to be malicious, and he only gave his opinion once I asked for him to give the car a look over, after he said he was in the trade. What an informed fellow he was too, and really knew what he was talking about.

Edit: Mike (MS Injection) makes an excellent point in his post further down, these guys are highly skilled and enthusiastic in their work and strive for perfection. Therefore it's difficult to view a car without casting a professional eye over it.

All the best,
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Big Mike wrote: we can't all be millionaires parading around in concourse winning original cars - as much as I'm sure we'd all like to.
Hi,
There were two stunning low-mileage cars on display at Brooklands. One was an orange 3.0S and the other was, appropriately, a 280 (Brooklands). Both cars on well known on the exhibition circuit, so you're probably aware of them.
I have to say I was extremely envious of these cars and would dearly love to own either of them. I greatly admire the effort that has gone into these cars to maintain, and probably surpass, the standard they left the factory. Both cars had mirrors placed so the undersides could be inspected, and believe me, they were spotless.
However, they can only be museum pieces. They cannot be used and enjoyed. The owners had to sit alongside the cars for the whole duration of the event, and who can blame them?
I'm happy to own a car that, to most show visitors, is in decent enough condition to be complimented, but one that I'm not scared to leave alone while I have a wander around the show. I certainly get an equal pleasure, if not more so, driving the car to exhibiting it at events.

As much as I would love to have a truly immaculate car, it would mean having to own another Capri to actually use, and I'm not in a position to do that, unfortunately.
Big Mike wrote:your car is a credit to you sir, and your enthusiasm for the marque and your contributions made here are worth far more to the majority of us......Keep up the good work mate, Rant Over! ;)
Mike, you're making me blush now............Thanks for your comments! I'm surprised anyone even reads my contributions on this forum!

Andrew.
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

peers.dupp wrote:
One of the things that caught my eye about the back of your car was the rear lights, which you've must have modified since you took the photos in your 'member's cars' thread, and you've added some reversing lights under the bumper. A nice retro look, I think.

I just managed to grab a photo as you were leaving!

Andrew.
Yeah they are a bit more recent. I wanted Mk2 light units for the back cos they look a bit smarter imo - the stepped lenses on the mk3 are a bit too "80s" for my tastes. But, it leaves the problem of fog lights. I originally had one side fog one side reverse but I don't like them not being symmetrical like that! I couldn't find anything slim enough to use as a fog, and didn't want a chunky unit hanging below the bumper, but found those (they're technically driving lights). The old reversing light section of the lens is now used as a fog (hence the red plastic tint cover over it, and those are aftermarket units. Does the job and looks alright imo!
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Hi chaps. My bodywork/paint man told me about a few bits on mine I thought weren't noticeable and some I knew about and hoped weren't that bad. He only had good intentions though. He has also said he would like to paint my new panels again as the wing is a bit wavy and he thinks he'll match paint even better. He doesn't propose to charge me. I can't understand what he's on about it looks factory fresh to me. Guys like that love what they do and can't switch off.

My issue is with people that point at pattern wings etc and criticise or sigh in a judgmental fashion. They can take their pointing and judgment and shove it up their ass. So what. It's not a panel made by Ford. Oh I know what I'll do - my car is 30 years old and in stunning nick apart from a rusty wing; best scrap it eh because I refuse to use an aftermarket part. My advice to people that look at a good car and call it for an aftermarket wing is have a look at themselves. I mean seriously, sort it out. What's wrong? The wife a bit of a beast so you take it out on how a car is put together instead?

Wow that was a bit of a rant!
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

I could understand that maybe if there was a viable alternative to pattern wings, but there really isn't. Like you say, they can shove it up their ass!

Btw, for any of you that were there - don't be offended if I didn't take a pic of your car, as you can probably tell, I'm most interested in modified ones. Didn't want to go overboard with hundreds of pics either. A lot of the ones I snapped aren't even to my tastes! Oh, and Mk1s of course, they always look awesome regardless of original/modified or concourse/driven!

I didn't think to have a look at member or car pics before leaving home so didn't really recognise anyone or their car :(
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

peers.dupp wrote:There were two stunning low-mileage cars on display at Brooklands. One was an orange 3.0S and the other was, appropriately, a 280 (Brooklands). Both cars on well known on the exhibition circuit, so you're probably aware of them.
:agree: Stunning examples. Yes very envious too but then again like you said you woud be too scared to dare to drive these let alone leave them parked up somewhere other than Alcatraz :)
peers.dupp wrote:I'm happy to own a car that, to most show visitors, is in decent enough condition to be complimented, but one that I'm not scared to leave alone while I have a wander around the show.
Andrew every time I looked over you had someone either chatting to you about your car or looking over it when you were not on hand to share your knowledge. Truly deserved mate.

Just looking through my photos now. When I get a chance I will pop a few on the Gallery. I better show some attention to Mrs Fordoholic Nick today...have not seen much of her the last 10 days. Been down in the garage working on Capri for this event. Ah well back to reality now...

All the best guys

Nick
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.