I've got to get this off my chest

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

I've got to get this off my chest

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Look at this cyclist I followed today. The camera can't catch him as he cycles alongside due to the way the angle is set up, but you can see by how far he's travelled by the time the lights have changed that he had cycled straight through the red light. Last time I checked the highway code only the green light signifies that you can proceed if clear, all the other lights mean stop. That obviously does not apply to this cyclist!

Not once.........

Not twice........

But three times, all in the space of 1 1/4 minutes. Two of those being pedestrian crossings. Is it any wonder cyclists have a bad reputation?

Rant over. Now I feel better!

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: I've got to get this off my chest

Post by stevemarl »

I`ve lost count of the number I`ve seen lately, on main roads, no hands. (`Cos you need both hands when you`re texting.)
I`ve ridden a bike, I know how vulnerable they are, but there`s no excuse for that.
Also , I`ve had a couple of instances where a new cycle lane has been set up - and the lycra clad ones have to ride JUST outside the lane (presumably `I`m as entitled to use the road as anyone else so I WILL use the road`) Should be able to `ease` them back into their lane, IMHO....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:Should be able to `ease` them back into their lane, IMHO....
Steve,
I couldn't agree more. The problem is, a lot of them wear cameras on their helmets and they would capture the manoeuvre on film. I wouldn't be happy if my misdemeanour was captured on film and posted on a forum for all the world to see............. ;)

Andrew.
lowcadillac
Car(s): Ford Capri mk1.Mgb gt.BMW 520d Touring

Post by lowcadillac »

Do I win a prize for spotting this is in longlevens in Gloucester. Couldn't agree more about the cyclists mind. :swear:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

lowcadillac wrote:Do I win a prize for spotting this is in longlevens in Gloucester.
Hi,

Well spotted! You're not the bloke on the bike are you? ;)

Andrew.
al1981gl
Car(s): Ford Capri 1981 2.0 GL - daily driver
RR Silver Shadow 1975 - fine weekends.

Post by al1981gl »

Give credit where due - the **** is on the road, not the pavement.
Round here the road lice do use the road, but only to avoid the perfectly adequate cycle track alongside. They probably think the cycle track is for just for old ladies and beginners.
Jayman
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6
Renault Clio 3
Jaguar XJ

Post by Jayman »

Cyclists are dicks for the sake of it. dicks...
Since I got a capri I've said "over the moon" a lot more than ever before.
lowcadillac
Car(s): Ford Capri mk1.Mgb gt.BMW 520d Touring

Post by lowcadillac »

peers.dupp wrote:
lowcadillac wrote:Do I win a prize for spotting this is in longlevens in Gloucester.
Hi,

Well spotted! You're not the bloke on the bike are you? ;)

Andrew.
Haha no chance, you wont get me on a bike especially not in lycra.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

al1981gl wrote: the road lice do use the road, but only to avoid the perfectly adequate cycle track alongside.
That is the thing that really, really pisses me off. Long, long ago I used to drive....larger vehicles; if you`re driving something 8ft+ wide, you can`t get past them `cos of oncoming traffic - but they`ve got a £10m custom cycle track they *choose* not to use....used to drive me absolutely mental!
(I used to ride a bike occasionally, would have LOVED a cycle track.)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

There are bad cyclists just as there are bad drivers. I see many drivers jump red lights.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Why is it that cyclists get so much pleasure out of holding everyone else up?

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

Fucking hate the my Lycra louts been stuck in many a queue behind some moron on a bike going uphill when the. cunt could use the cycle path beside the tosser,
mike
andy a
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '69 Mk1 Capri 1300 Daily (now gone to a new owner)

73 Facelift 2000 GT long term project...

Post by andy a »

I have to admit I'm not keen on cyclists, I have one live next door, rides around the country lanes with a camera on his gay looking crash hat wearing his gay looking lycra, actually I don't dislike him because he's a cyclist, I dislike him because he's a knobhead, but for the purposes of this discussion that doesn't matter.

My normal tactic with them when driving in a built up area is when approaching traffic lights or anywhere I may have to stop, I drive about 3 inches from the kerb, this gives them a choice, stop behind me, or get on the pavement (where there's the possibility of nagging grannies, mobility scooter riders and various other people to have a moan at them), this causes them great pleasure.

I've even seen some practising British sign language in my rear view mirror, or it may have been makaton, either way I don't care, I'm not deaf, so I don't know what they're saying, although several times I've noticed that they appear to know that I'm well endowed by their gesturing, which can only be a good thing, if any deaf women are nearby and see them congratulating me on the size of my genitalia they may be curious enough to investigate, and let's face it, at least you don't have to sit and have long protracted conversations with them, because they can't bloody hear you.

To be fair I much prefer horses, it's nothing to do with women in jodhpurs (whoever came up with that name is clearly dyslexic, or suffers with severe sinus issues), I don't much like the way they shit in the road (the horses, not the riders as a rule), but they are easy to get out of your way, all you have to do is drive up behind them slowly so you don't spook them, then a swift blast of the hooter and they're off, even the lamest looking old nag takes on the appearance of a National winner when they hear Dixie coming from a foot behind their arse.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

lowcadillac wrote:
peers.dupp wrote:
lowcadillac wrote:haha no chance, you wont get me on a bike
I know how you feel. My bike was put away in the shed on the day I passed my driving test, and it hasn't been out since!

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Get out for an hour or two on a busy road at peak time Andrew, and you won't be starting threads like this again!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:Get out for an hour or two on a busy road at peak time Andrew, and you won't be starting threads like this again!
No, I'd definitely be posting rants on a car-based forum about how car drivers are inconsiderate, because they get so annoyed when they have difficulty in overtaking me when I cycle in the middle of the lane for no reason, and how their frustration is unwarranted when I cycle through a red light just to get back in front of them so they have to crawl along behind me when I'm cycling in the middle of the lane. Again.

My opinion on the subject is that roads should be for motorised vehicles to get places quickly. That's the modern world and bikes belong in a museum.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Goodness me! Keep calm and Capri on.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:Keep calm and Capri on.
Hi,
You should have come up with that slogan before we got the T-shirts printed!
It would have looked great on the back of a forum t-shirt.

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I've had enough of that damn phrase cropping up everywhere. At least "Capri on" contains some sembelence of wit. Last time I saw it it was in my mate's pub "Keep Calm and Follow us on Twitter". Doesn't even make any sense.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I've copyrighted it now. If anyone should copy, use or display it then it will be an infringement and you shall owe me £6,800,642. Or a new old stock perfect uncracked dash top. Whichever is the most expensive.

Keep calm and Capri on :)