Repro Tax Disc

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Repro Tax Disc

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Everyone,

This is not to everyone's taste, but I've just bought a repro tax disc from this site:
http://www.creativetaxdiscs.co.uk/page5.html

It's a reproduction of the first one that would have been on the car. Something to fill the void once the current discs can be removed in October.

It's amazingly accurate, even down to the P.O. stamp! All the details can be custom created to match your own cars.
I did a quick bit of research into where my car would have been purchased (GS registration = Luton), looked at the list of dealers from the Ford booklet printed in the same year and took a punt that the tax was purchased from the nearest issuing P.O. Either way, in my opinion the disc is excellent quality and I'm really pleased with it. I just need to fill in the details and away I go!

I highly recommend the product and service from creative tax discs.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Repro Tax Disc

Post by pbar »

I've been wondering actually, what is legal, and what's not, in that little corner of the windscreen. Are we now supposed to have nothing there, and can we leave the last one in place, or what?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:I've been wondering actually, what is legal, and what's not, in that little corner of the windscreen. Are we now supposed to have nothing there, and can we leave the last one in place, or what?
Hi,
I'm under the impression that you can leave the last disc in position, should you choose.

Andrew.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I personally am looking forward to a clear windscreen with one less bit of bureaucracy on display.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Noel wrote:I personally am looking forward to a clear windscreen with one less bit of bureaucracy on display.
Hi,
Yes, but it's nice to have a constant visual reminder of how we love to give a proportion of our hard-earned wages back to the government! :sarcasmalert:

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I know, and it will appear strange, after all these years of seeing every car on every road, have that little label. Wonder if we can have something else there in it's place, like an emblem or something?

Just like that Laser page t-shirt idea that you guys had, we could have a tax disc one also for example.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:we could have a tax disc one also for example.
Hi,
Great idea! I would definitely display such an item. Unfortunately, however, the forum is lacking a logo that could be applied to a sticker. Therefore, someone would have to design something suitable.

Andrew.
Big Mike
Donator
Donator
Car(s): No Capri at the moment but will bounce back one day!

Post by Big Mike »

Andrew that's brilliant - believe it or not I'd had the exact same thought (only I didn't follow it up) - I think that's a great idea once 1st Oct has rolled around, I'll be having one!

Mike.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Hi Andrew

I also had the same idea. In fact, yesterday I stopped into the Heritage Motor Museum in Gaydon (travelling back from a job in Oxford). They offer the same service but I wanted to work out the nearest issuing PO to the dealer that probably sold mine before ordering. I spent much of last night searching but cannot find anything online.

I don't suppose that your goldmine of booklets identifies Ford Dealers in Lincoln in 1984/85?! My car was first registered 9th Jan 1985 so it might have been delivered in late 1984 I suppose.

Edit: And what the rate was for 12 months tax 1984/85!!??

Cheers
Mike
Last edited by MS Injection on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi All,

I think the Repo Tax Disc looks great and I love the idea of the Emblem of some sort for this Page. Great ideas all round.

I just saw the title 'Tax Disc' and wanted to just give a 'Heads Up' to everyone, who might not know what this all means. Part of the New Car Tax rules, after the 1st Oct, also mean that if you buy a car and the seller tells you it has 5 Months or 9 Months Tax left to run, this is NOT the case. :doh: Any Tax (By the Month still.) left on the vehicle at the point of sale is Automatically refunded back to the Seller (Name on the Log Book.) It is then YOUR responsibility to Tax the vehicle straight away!!! :shock: You WILL be prosecuted if caught for no Tax. So please everyone out there, if you buy a Capri, or another car after 1st Oct, it is NOT TAXED!!! What ever they tell you.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Cheers,

John....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MS Injection wrote:Edit: And what the rate was for 12 months tax 1984/85!!??
Mike,
I can't say for 1984, but in late '83 there was Hartford Motors (Lincoln) .
The nearest current P.O. that issues discs is St. Giles, Lincoln. If you wanted to be 100% accurate, the Ford dealer list booklets often appear on Ebay. As they were updaten frequently, you will have to buy one that was printed nearer to the time that your car was registered.

The rate for twelve months tax was £90 in 84 or £100 in 1985. Assuming the rate hike would have been in the budget, I would have thought that it would have been £90 for the first year.

Discs issued in 1985 should be blue in colour.

I hope that this helps, there is losts of useful info on the website I have linked to, including various styles of disc and stamp types.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Taff40ish wrote:You WILL be prosecuted if caught for no Tax. So please everyone out there, if you buy a Capri, or another car after 1st Oct, it is NOT TAXED!!! What ever they tell you.....
John,
Thanks for the heads up. Of course, now that compliance with tax will be monitored by ANPR cameras, anyone in the situation you describe will have to be careful and will probably have to buy their tax online immediately after purchasing their car. A bit of a kerfuffle if they buy their car from a private seller.

Andrew.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

peers.dupp wrote:I hope that this helps....

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew. As ever, it very much does help.

Mike
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hey Andrew,

That's a brilliant idea mate. Looks fantastic.

I just tried to find possible Ford Dealers in Hull (AT), around my capris first registration 11/10/1984 but am definitely doing something wrong cause I keep getting a ford dealership in Witchita in USA..arghhhhh...computers and me :banghead:

Don't suppose if you get a chance you could see where mine may have come from please mate, and possible PO nearby. Would love to get one of these too if possible. What a great find :applaud:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:I just tried to find possible Ford Dealers in Hull (AT), around my capris first registration 11/10/1984 but am definitely doing something wrong cause I keep getting a ford dealership in Witchita in USA.
Nick,
The car probably did not come from there!

Late '83 there were four Ford dealers in Hull.

Crystal of Hull (x2)
Johnsons Garage (Hedon)
Kingston Garage (Hull)

Your car could have come from any of the four garages, let me know which one you fancy, and I will look up the nearest tax issuing P.O. Please note, I don't have any historical records for the P.O., so we just have to assume that it was around when the car was purchased.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

peers.dupp wrote:Late '83 there were four Ford dealers in Hull.

Crystal of Hull (x2)
Johnsons Garage (Hedon)
Kingston Garage (Hull)

Your car could have come from any of the four garages, let me know which one you fancy, and I will look up the nearest tax issuing P.O. Please note, I don't have any historical records for the P.O., so we just have to assume that it was around when the car was purchased.

Andrew.
Hi Andrew.

Thanks very much mate. Thats really good of you mate. Just been looking at the options.

I googled them....

"Crystal of Hull"... and got a kebab shop !

"Kingston Garage Hull".. cant find

But... "Johnsons Garage (Hedon)" are still around albeit now trading as "Nicholsons of Hedon". I have a gut feeling this could well be the one (still only a guess though) so can I go with this one please mate to see the nearest PO. Gut feelings are hard to ignore.

Thanks for your time with this Andrew. Its great to get a bit of history on my car. Narrowed down to three dealers in Hull. Great stuff.

Cheers mate,

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:But... "Johnsons Garage (Hedon)" are still around albeit now trading as "Nicholsons of Hedon".
Nick,
The nearest P.O. is in Market Place, Hedon, Hull. Hedon is slightly outside of Hull, but the car would still have been registered there.

I think you need a blue disc, and the rate at the time was £90.

Personally, I don't think it matters at all if some of the details are not strictly accurate. I've tried to get mine as close as possible, but I won't be losing any sleep if any of the details subsequently turn out to be incorrect.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:"Crystal of Hull"... and got a kebab shop !

"Kingston Garage Hull".. cant find

But... "Johnsons Garage (Hedon)" are still around albeit now trading as "Nicholsons of Hedon". I have a gut feeling this could well be the one (still only a guess though)
Nick,
Crystals of Hull were the RS dealer for the area. They were at 172 Anlaby Road. I looked on street view to find.............a bus depot! How's that for karma or fate or whatever?
Johnsons Garage is now Nicholsons of Hedon (not a main dealer of any sort now), but there is a builders merchant also on the same site called.................Johnsons!
Kingston Ford is now an Esso petrol station.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eybusman/3937446267/

All of no use whatsoever, but interesting nonetheless.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

[quote="peers.dupp"Nick,
Crystals of Hull were the RS dealer for the area. They were at 172 Anlaby Road. I looked on street view to find.............a bus depot! How's that for karma or fate or whatever[/quote]

Andrew...it was always meant to be....i buy a capri possibly first registered at a dealership that is now a bus depot...and i become a bus driver myself. Mate i always did feel a very strong "unexplained" bond with B112 AAT

Your research is brilliant. Thanks mate.

This must have been the place...like you say "fate"

Cheers

Nick
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Glad I saved this now....It`ll be going inthe screen next month