I must be mad

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Tamworthbay
Car(s): Y reg 1.6L in imperial red, ex owner of 3.0s and 2.0 GL in gorgeous Tibetan gold

I must be mad

Post by Tamworthbay »

After 24 years Capri free I have put a deposit on another one. After being determined to get a decent runner, maybe in need of a little work, I have ended up getting one that needs a shed load of bodywork, new interior, engine is ill, brakes are scary and no doubt a load of other bits that need doing. I don't think I will be driving it anytime soon but it will keep me busy for a while. Will get pics up when I get it.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: I must be mad

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Tamworthbay wrote:After 24 years Capri free I have put a deposit on another one
Hi.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of capri ownership.
Crikey 24 years is a long time. Good luck with the capri you just bought. You did not mention which model you got.

Anyway hope your restoration goes well. Looking forward to seeing pics.

All the best now

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

Best of luck on the resto. Hope you've got enough contacts to get your spares. If not there are plenty of contacts on here to hopefully get what you need. Also the occasional browse on Fleabay might yield a few goodies once and a while. :goodluck:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
As everyone has said, welcome back to Capri ownership and good luck with the resto. I hope it all goes to plan with not too many unforeseen issues.
Fordoholic Nick wrote:Good luck with the capri you just bought. You did not mention which model yoi got
Nick,
I think it's a red 1.6L from the Cars For Sale pages.

Andrew.
Tamworthbay
Car(s): Y reg 1.6L in imperial red, ex owner of 3.0s and 2.0 GL in gorgeous Tibetan gold

Post by Tamworthbay »

Yup its a red 1.6l. I really wanted a 2.0gl in Tibetan gold but this was local at the right price so I took a punt. It's lovely and solid underneath but wings are frilly, rear arches are bad, one crusty, one bad repaired. Engine is very tired, brakes are truly scary, especially as it's been driven as a daily. My guess is master cylinder seals but will need to strip it all out. Interior is tired but carpets and dash are good. Hoping to get it today or tomorrow so will have a proper poke around over the weekend. It's an odd colour, does anyone have any links to colour codes for early 80s cars?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Tamworthbay wrote:It's an odd colour, does anyone have any links to colour codes for early 80s cars?
Hi,
You don't say if the paint on the car is the original shade.
If it is, you can ascertain the colour by decoding the body build plate, or build sheet if present, on fordopedia.org under section 73.

http://www.fordopedia.org/body-plates/static

Alternatively, you can search for the paint code from the VIN plate on Google. That usually works just as well. If the car is an '83 it could be imperial red.

If the car has been resprayed in a different colour than the original, a visit to your local automotive paint supplier could provide the answer you are looking for.

Hope this helps,
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I've just found some good photos of an imperial red Capri in this thread for comparison (near the bottom, not the blue/silver car!)
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37054

Andrew.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Tamworthbay wrote: My guess is master cylinder seals but will need to strip it all out.
First port of call on the brakes should be replacing the rear wheel cylinders as they usually fail before the other parts. Two different diameter pistons early / late but either should fit. Shoes might run if not worn to the metal or oily.
Get a tub of Milers Red Rubber grease for round the seals to keep damp out & make it last.
Front pistons probably rusted too - check for them moving back into the calliper with screwdriver pressure, if they move then might be useable but it'll need new fluid anyway so best to strip & clean up or replace seals.
The m/cyl - unless seals are well creamed - is least likely to be the problem. Fail symptom is the pedal will slowly press all the way to the floor.

Welcome to the madhouse.
Click photo below for more servicing detail:
Tamworthbay

Post by Tamworthbay »

Thanks guys for the help. It looks like it could well be imperial red. The car is original paint (well most of it is) and it is really solid underneath. The only concern I have is the rear wheel arch that has been 'repaired' as that could cause me problems. It's just going to take a while to work through it, but it have been messing with cars since I was 16 so shouldn't be too daunting. The only thing I can't do is spraying, but my mate is keen to learn so we will get there. Then it will be time to look for a lump with a bit more oomph to swap into it. At the moment I think it does 0-60 in about 30 seconds but bearing in mind how bad the brakes are that may be a good thing!
Tamworthbay

Post by Tamworthbay »

Got it at 1pm this afternoon and have spent this afternoon going over it. Overall it's VERY good news. The underneath looked solid when I viewed it, but further checks have shown it is completely solid in all the key points. I also think I may be able to save the wings by just letting in a few bits of new steel. They don't seem anywhere near as bad as they look. the rear arch 'repair' looked to be the biggest problem and still does. I think I end up cutting it out and redoing it properly.

Engine is a puzzle, compression is good, timing has been checked but it still seems completely flat. I think it needs all the ignition side checking through and then maybe strip and clean the carb and see where we get. The blue smoke on startup is most likely valve stem seals based on the compression test results.

Interior will be a headache. I can't see a way of saving the seat covers so I guess it will be a case of looking on fleabay for a complete interior. I haven't had chance to check the brakes over as yet. Pedal seems firm at standstill with or without the engine running but it definately wasn't on the test drive. Again a case of stripping, cleaning and checking everything. But overall a really good solid starting point.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Gutted I bought another one a few days before this came up, I missed this one.

Well done. There's not enough Ls left and the earlier cars are made of better quality steel.
Tamworthbay

Post by Tamworthbay »

A bit more fettling this afternoon. The (almost new) leads are crap and may be a major part of the problem. I have some spark testers at work so will test this theory out tomorrow evening. The dizzy cap is cracked which won't be helping either. I dropped on a grubby but complete interior on eBay for £31. Its from a GL but so is the one in there so it will do until I find the right one. Smoke from under the bonnet is just scribbles of oil from the rocker gasket so that is an easy fix.
laserdude
Car(s): capri

Post by laserdude »

Hi mate,
Your 1600L is Imperial Red it is a very rare colour. Also the interior that was in it the Grey one is the original interior so I would keep it in. Don't put another one in from another Capri. Or at lease keep it so if you sell it you can put it back in. Has been said 1600L's are very rare now so if I were you I would keep it as original as you can.

It's your car mate so its up to you what you do with it and good luck with the project.

Tom.
Tamworthbay

Post by Tamworthbay »

I thought L's all had seats without headrests? Unfortunately the seats really are way past their best. I certainly won't throw them (I never throw anything!) but the car will be finished to a good standard and the seats are not close to that. The eBay ones will do for now until I can source the exact ones, or perhaps get these ones recovered if possible.
laserdude
Car(s): capri

Post by laserdude »

The last built 1600L's had headrests in them. Yours was built in October 1982. They also came with parcel shelves which were an option on earlier L models. Because Ford were cutting the range down the last L models had a bit more on. I think you will find that the fabric is the same as later GL models. It is really worth restoring the original seats.

I did want to buy this car but you beat me to it. :banghead: But that's life mate. :cool:
Tamworthbay

Post by Tamworthbay »

Well it has taken 6 years on and off but it passed the MoT yesterday!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Tamworthbay wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:41 pm Well it has taken 6 years on and off but it passed the MoT yesterday!
Congratulations. its a good feeling I know :applaud: :applaud:

That just leaves the pictures then :)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Tamworthbay

Post by Tamworthbay »

Peter-S wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:18 pm
Tamworthbay wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:41 pm Well it has taken 6 years on and off but it passed the MoT yesterday!

I tried to post some but think They need to be hosted somewhere.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Tamworthbay wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:22 pm
Peter-S wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:18 pm

They can be hosted such as Flickr or use Postimage: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33174
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Tamworthbay wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:22 pm
When replying to or starting a thread, and assuming you have pictures on your PC/Laptop, click on 'attachments' below, click 'add files', select your picture and click 'open', then click 'place inline' then 'submit'.

And good news on the Capri :cool: