How "cheeky" do you get?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
80s kid
Car(s): Ford 2.0s auto daily driver

How "cheeky" do you get?

Post by 80s kid »

Hi all

My new hobby is seeing how much I can get insurance or any other company who takes bills off you to give me their lowest prices. How much do u push them?

My can insurance came back and the wanted 404 quid, by the time I finished I got it for 314 quid. My business insurance last year I saved nearly a grand after I pushed them.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: How "cheeky" do you get?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Negotiation is all part of the game at renewal time. Haggle, threaten to leave if they don't play ball. It's not a bluff, there are plenty of insurance companies around where you can take your business. The insurance companies love those people who just renew their insurance automatically and don't haggle or shop around.

Andrew.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi,
Negotiation is all part of the game at renewal time. Haggle, threaten to leave if they don't play ball. It's not a bluff, there are plenty of insurance companies around where you can take your business. The insurance companies love those people who just renew their insurance automatically and don't haggle or shop around.

Andrew.
I love haggling. I was on holiday in Spain a few years back and my mom wanted some sun glasses, he started at 50 euros. I got them for 5 in the end lol. I bet a few people just hand over the fifty.

Only problem with insurance companies was I spoke to more foreigners than were in the Olympic village.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

80s kid wrote:I love haggling. I was on holiday in Spain a few years back and my mom wanted some sun glasses, he started at 50 euros. I got them for 5 in the end lol.
I'm not one for confrontation, but when it comes to saving money, I can make an exception! :)
It's possible to haggle on the high street in this country too. Maybe the discounts aren't as big as you got in your Spanish market, but the companies want your business and will still make a profit from the sale.
80s kid wrote: I bet a few people just hand over the fifty.
Do you think the seller respects those people or laughs at them while he's counting his thick wad of notes?

Andrew.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

I enjoy a confrontation but only if its called for and saving my hard earned pennies is defiantly called for lol.

I expect he laughs at the weak tourist who ain't got the balls to knock his prices down. I respect him for at least trying to get the most out of it, I bet he bought them for 50 cents a piece.

When I had my motorbike I was paying cash and wanted extras, by the time I finished I had my L plates, a lock chain, battery charger and storage box :).
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I know a guy who will ask for anything, and everything. Buying a light fitting in a shop for example, he will ask for a pack of bulbs to go with it. Buying a selection of magazines in a newsagent, he will ask for a discounted price. Any work done on his car, he will never, ever, accept the first price they give. Or the second, and seldom the third. Buying a carpet, he will ask for a free rug. He is always polite and well mannered, and mostly it does work. I often do the same, and often it works for me too.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

pbar wrote:I know a guy who will ask for anything, and everything. Buying a light fitting in a shop for example, he will ask for a pack of bulbs to go with it. Buying a selection of magazines in a newsagent, he will ask for a discounted price. Any work done on his car, he will never, ever, accept the first price they give. Or the second, and seldom the third. Buying a carpet, he will ask for a free rug. He is always polite and well mannered, and mostly it does work. I often do the same, and often it works for me too.
They can do it mate if its worth it for them. Eg pay in cash.

Might see what I can do in Asda tomoz ;)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

80s kid wrote:Might see what I can do in Asda tomoz ;)
Hi,
Whatever you do, don't try to get a five-fingered discount! ;)

Andrew.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

peers.dupp wrote:
80s kid wrote:Might see what I can do in Asda tomoz ;)
Hi,
Whatever you do, don't try to get a five-fingered discount! ;)

Andrew.
Haha dunno if that suppose to be violent or sexual lol. :-D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

80s kid wrote:dunno if that suppose to be violent or sexual lol. :-D
Hi,
Neither, as far as I'm aware..... :)

Andrew.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

peers.dupp wrote: