Modern car security LOL!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
retroman81
Car(s): 1985 2.8i Special (Project)

Modern car security LOL!

Post by retroman81 »

I have noticed quite a few owners of new cars fitting disklocks to their steering wheels, I got chatting to a chap and he was telling me thieves can now hack into the electronics of a vehicle to open the doors and then plug a unit into the diagnostics to overide the immobiliser and start the engine, they do say things go full circle eventually, so after all the years of advances in technology we're back to a metal disc and a padlock! :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Modern car security LOL!

Post by stevemarl »

Doesn`t surprise me really, anything which relies on computers can be hacked & some of the stuff Korean kids can do is scary. At least you know where you are with a padlock!
retroman81
Car(s): 1985 2.8i Special (Project)

Post by retroman81 »

I suppose this will mean an increase in insurance premiums!

Before someone (probably a 10 year old) found a way to hack their way past the security measures, thieves had to resort to breaking into peoples homes for the keys or dragging the driver out of the car, the problem doesn't go away it just moves around.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

The early 90s were great. These days it's "my xr2 got stolen its the end of the world". In the 90s it was "are you driving tonight???" "Nah. My xr2 got stolen again. I only got it back Tuesday"
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Terra-Kotta wrote:The early 90s were great. These days it's "my xr2 got stolen its the end of the world". In the 90s it was "are you driving tonight???" "Nah. My xr2 got stolen again. I only got it back Tuesday"
Yes, the 1990s were difficult times for car owners.
Although I've never had a car stolen, I must be really lucky. Either that or the car thieves wouldn't be seen dead joyriding in the cars I owned!

Andrew.
Terra-Kotta

Post by Terra-Kotta »

peers.dupp wrote:
Terra-Kotta wrote:The early 90s were great. These days it's "my xr2 got stolen its the end of the world". In the 90s it was "are you driving tonight???" "Nah. My xr2 got stolen again. I only got it back Tuesday"
Yes, the 1990s were difficult times for car owners.
Although I've never had a car stolen, I must be really lucky. Either that or the car thieves wouldn't be seen dead joyriding in the cars I owned!

Andrew.
Lol. My mums 1300 sport was "borrowed" regularly. They used to bring in back. No joke!!!!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Terra-Kotta wrote:Lol. My mums 1300 sport was "borrowed" regularly. They used to bring in back. No joke!!!!
I knew people who`d leave the doors unlocked as it saved replacing the glass....
Terra-Kotta

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Had a cheap £30 Argos camera over my xr2 in underground car park. In the end a few of us clubbed together and bought a shitty rotten one to sit in car park then let em try to steal that (which they tried many times). Amusing considering it didn't have an engine or box in it.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Plenty vids on youtube of bmw's getting stolen in a couple of minutes using this method - I watched one over a year ago & they'll only have got better & quicker by now.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
retroman81 wrote: thieves can now hack into the electronics of a vehicle to open the doors :
Alarm code grabbers are sold openly on the internet, making it easy for anyone to gain access to your modern car by simply switching off the alarm and opening the doors.
As you say, it is probably a good idea to have an old-fashioned mechanical immobiliser fitted as well. Can't do any harm to fit as many devices as possible. Also, a very large growling dog inside the car is probably an effective deterrent! :)

Andrew.
spireman
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser (finally back on the road). Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (daily driver)

Post by spireman »

Back in the 80s I used to wrap a chain round the brake pedal and through the steering wheel with a padlock then after having my stereo stolen I put plywood with nails sticking through under the seat covers, trick was to remember they were there lol.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

spireman wrote: trick was to remember they were there lol.
That`s the thing, cos sooner or later..... :o
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

spireman wrote:I put plywood with nails sticking through under the seat covers, trick was to remember they were there lol.
Back in the 80s you could probably get away with doing this. These days the would-be tea-leaf will go crying to the nearest police officer that you've breached his human rights or something. Before you know it you'd be handcuffed, bundled into the back of a Transit and up before the beak.
spireman wrote:Back in the 80s I used to wrap a chain round the brake pedal and through the steering wheel with a padlock
Everyone used to do that, didn't they? Haven't seen anyone do it for a looooong time!

Andrew.
chris_v888
Car(s): pontiac formula 400 (restoration project)

Post by chris_v888 »

if that want it thay will get it???? trust me both my 28i capri and granny whent within a year? so as i say if thay want it thay will get it i carnt tell you what my car hs now but touch wood it ok, i allso see a frend get one of them big balift clamps off in seconds so nothing safe a
Strigon Two
Car(s): MCC Smart Roadster Coupe

Post by Strigon Two »

A mate of mine from Uni left the keys to his rusty old Fiat X19 inside it a few years back.

I told him to break the window (tbh I also considered setting the bastard thing on fire, hateful little box of crap), but he made a weird whining sound at me in protest.

So, cut a tennis ball in half, held it over the lock and punched it - popped the lock right up.

That's when he discovered the battery was flat...
~ jayseatonphotography.co.uk
Burtr
Car(s): 2.8i s

Post by Burtr »

Make it as difficult as possible for a thief to take your car and I recommend fitting a tracking device. WWhhhaaaattt :o i hear you cry? Well, an old Ford is so easy to break into and drive away that if you really really value your car then fit a tracking device. That's what i'm doing. (hidden fuel cut offs are a good idea too). The trouble with immobilisers and fuel cut off switches is that more and more old Fords are being lifted onto the back of a trailer, then taken to a dodgy place and then dismantled within a couple of days. Fitting an immobiliser or fuel cut off switch wouldn't help in this matter (but is still a good idea). Fitting a tracking device means that when it's stolen and trailered away the theives usually hide it within a couple of miles of your home somewhere and leave it there. If it's got a tracking device fitted it'll be found - and if it hasn't then the theives will come back in a few days, collect it and then dismantle it. Also...make sure it's insured correctly, with all the modifications declared and with a company that you can trust come a claim... ;) Ahem ahem...Coops Insurance...ahem... :D
Burtr
Car(s): 2.8i s

Post by Burtr »

....Oh also...something important to remember. If you have said to your broker/insurer that your classic car is garaged overnight then this means that whenever you are at home then you must garage your car. If you are at home and chose to not garage the car one day/night for whatever reason then you are unlikely to be covered if the car is stolen. Some guy continually parked over my garage preventing me from getting in and out. He didn't know me and i didn't know him, but the police and council done nothing until i told the council that if my car is stolen and it's not garaged, then i'm not covered meaning i'm holding the council liable. Oddly enough they then sprung into action and the problem has been solved.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Burtr wrote:more and more old Fords are being lifted onto the back of a trailer, then taken to a dodgy place and then dismantled within a couple of days
That`s cheered me up....!!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Excellent advice there Burt, thank you. Plenty to think about.

Andrew.