Ebay fools

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Ebay fools

Post by blitzy »

So I was bidding on an Item on Ebay.
In the last 10 mins I put my top bid and won the item, I had read the listing a few times
it was Paypal only and Free P&P.
So I win and the guys messages me asking when I want to pick it up and bring cash.
After a few messages he says it will cost me extra for posting-I didn't agree but inquired
as to how much.

Next day I get a message saying the item has been sent and it was an extra £15 to post
I hadn't even paid the guy yet, he had posted the item before I had even hit the buy it now.

Ebay have told me I am not under anything to pay the extra cost as the listing clearly stated FREE P&P.

really some people.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Re: Ebay fools

Post by Hot_Protein »

I sold some items recently for collection only but on the listings it says free p&p.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

blitzy wrote: he had posted the item before I had even hit the buy it now.
How could he have even done that, surely he wouldn`t get your address till you buy?
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

You tell me how, he said the item was in the post
but As I don't sell on Ebay I don't know how that end works
I have paid the guy- I am not going to bid, then win and not pay that would be out of order
on the highest level.
But I couldn't understand how he had posted it before I had even paid for it.
Lucky for them I ain't the sort to do that.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I'm pretty sure that if you win the auction then the seller has your address through Ebay. Although the seller is foolhardy to post the item without payment.
If you intend selling an item that is collection only, then you have to select 'free collection in person' as the postage method.
If the seller has selected free P&P inadvertently, but intended collection in person only, I'm not sure how that stands legally. Perhaps there are some legal eagles on here who can tell us.
It sounds obvious, but it's always best to double and triple check your own listings before making them go live.

Andrew.
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

Well I have been wondering on bidding on this. as the description is for the car not a wheel nut as most do but is obviously is trying to get round ebay charges.
mike
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1985-FORD-CAP ... 20e54ca9ab
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

It's not an auction....you can't bid Mike.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Post by Hot_Protein »

If it was Tesco you would be able to buy for 10p but he is a private seller and this is ebay so even if you agreed to buy his car for £30k he could still change his mind.
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

340truck wrote:It's not an auction....you can't bid Mike.
that's the point classified add for 10p
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hot_Protein wrote:If it was Tesco you would be able to buy for 10p.
Hi,
I hate to be a pendant, but.....
If an item is priced at a certain amount in a shop, it is an invitation to buy. That is, they are not obligated to sell at that price. If an item is priced incorrectly, the shop, or internet seller, can refuse to sell for that price.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=3277262

Andrew.
c.turff
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 1,6 laser. Daily driver ( LPG converted )

Post by c.turff »

Thats true, but I belive the law states that they must either honor that price or refuse sale. They cant charge you a different price.
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

There are some proper nutters on ebay.

I randomly got sent a master system games console one day. I hadn't bought one, nor had anyone else in the house. I wrote to the sender, and got a text a week later. "Oh sorry, sent it to the wrong person. £30 it's yours, otherwise send it back and I'll pay the postage when I get it. Please use yodel and keep it under a tenner."

So he wanted me to use my time, money and effort to sort his cock up. Needless to say, I'm in no rush. As far as I can see, if he's happy to pay a tenner to get it back, he'll fold and take £20 for it.

Oh, and as for the 10p wheel nut breaking cars. There is a capri being broken, I saw it had a vinyl roof, so I asked about the gutter trims. "Sorry, they are both quite damaged." So I offered a tenner for them. Reply "Sorry, I want to sell them through ebay, I'm sure they are worth more than a tenner!". A month and three requests later, still not listed. WTF??!!!

Rich
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

rich_jc wrote:I randomly got sent a master system games console one day. I hadn't bought one, nor had anyone else in the house. I wrote to the sender, and got a text a week later. "Oh sorry, sent it to the wrong person.
That is muppetry of the highest order. If that had happened to me, I would have told the seller to arrange their own courier and had nothing else to do with it.

Andrew.
Jayman
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6
Renault Clio 3
Jaguar XJ

Post by Jayman »

On my phone it often says something is buy it now or best offer but when you click its an auction.
Since I got a capri I've said "over the moon" a lot more than ever before.