Mad max... How wrong they got it

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
80s kid
Car(s): Ford 2.0s auto daily driver

Mad max... How wrong they got it

Post by 80s kid »

In post apocalyptic world where fuel is worth more than gold they bomb round in big gas guzzling cars and bikes, you can go days before you hear the roar of a v8 engine in the distance.

How it will happen really... You get in your car, push a button, silently it starts and you drive down the road in a milk float car with a sound of a v8 engine on your music player :).

I love mad max movies but jeez they got it so wrong, maybe they thought petrol would stay cheap forever I dunno.

It don't have the same effect finding the killer of your family, having a game of chicken on an open road in two cars with a dairy crest engine in :).
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Mad max... How wrong they got it

Post by Mc Tool »

"sound of a v8 engine on your music player"

Dude we did that ! Vauxall Viva ( magmum ) , 4 big guys ( and Ian Mc Donald...... it was his car :) ) , heaps of piss and we had a drag racing tape , which we played full volume as we dragged of ( in our dreams ) all the V8 boys , and we all rocked back and forth as the driver changed gears like the acceleration was throwing us back in the seats, yeah we took the piss ..... until they followed us out to Oreti beach to beat us up , where after a brief scuffle we locked all 4 of them in Bruce Genever's Pontiac Laurenthian boot and drove it down the beach , accidently letting them think we had left it below the hi tide mark......... they were screamin like babies when we left them...........good times......1981-82
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

TBH i think i'd be Diesel engine that rule however slightly modified to those we have today.

example the USA army truck the M35 Deuce is a diesel however it will run with no issues on
petrol, used (but pre filtered) engine oil and alcohol.

From what I have seen of them they are quite a beast it is said some British army ones can do the same but I have no idea which ones.

This is possible on old diesels I.e those without efi.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

In the first mad max, there was still fuel flowing, it was pre-war. Big Bopper, the yellow Pursuit car, and max's yellow interceptor were V8s.. as was the Pursuit Special (black Falcon XB GT).. the yellow car driven by March Hare was a straight 6.

A lot of the vehicles in the post-war Mad Max 2 were ex-MFP vehicles - like the red Ford Falcon XA that gets written off by the Mack and the black Ford Landau with its carbs on the bonnet. Oh and Max's pursuit special of course. They were using what came to hand.. most of the Buggies are VW based, 4-cyl. Its only been about 3 years since the war and its implied that fuel is still to be found in caches or ruins in the wasteland, hence the huge long range fuel tanks of several vehicles (Humungous's fuel tanks are two 55 gallon drums!) Most of the time all vehicles are cruising to save fuel.. for instance Max only uses his supercharger twice in the movie, the rest of the time he's cruising. The only time they're really thrashed are during the intro, when Max gets the knackered Mack back to the compound (kin love that scene) and when Max tries to break out of the Vermin's lines in his newly fueled up XB. Which doesn't go so well.

Not that I was ever part of the madmaxmovies.com crew or anything :)

You must remember, above everything else, that it would be a bit of a lame francise if they were tooling around in Priuses or milk floats lol Plus old tech is easier to repair.

I always wondered where the Humungous found a refill for his nitrous..
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Do you think though.... When it happens here. You won't survive out there with a pinto unless its a 205 block????

The only ones that make it through are the 205 blocks.
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

Major_Tom wrote:You must remember, above everything else, that it would be a bit of a lame francise if they were tooling around in Priuses or milk floats lol
this.

It's a movie!
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Post by Hot_Protein »

jimmyted wrote:
Major_Tom wrote:You must remember, above everything else, that it would be a bit of a lame francise if they were tooling around in Priuses or milk floats lol
this.

It's a movie!
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

"Slighty Cheesed-off Max" maybe? XD

Damn, I need to re-watch those two films. (yeah, two, sod tina turner and lack of v8 interceptor)
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote:it would be a bit of a lame francise if they were tooling around in... milk floats lol
Hi,
It would be the only film with a slower car chase than the one in Bugsy Malone! :)

Andrew.