Who thinks eBay charges are a rip off?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
retroman81
Car(s): 1985 2.8i Special (Project)

Who thinks eBay charges are a rip off?

Post by retroman81 »

Just been on my eBay account to change my password, as we all should do since the site has apparently been hacked, (so that's more of my personal info out there now!) I then started to relist a couple of items and I noticed a 35p listing fee on a 99p item which seems ridiculous, after further investigation it appears I now get 20 free listings at any price where as I used to get 99 free listings if they were under £1, the annoying thing is if I had proceeded with the listing I would have paid 35p to list and 10% of the final sale fee inc P&P to eBay then 10% to Paypal (also part of eBay) for the transaction, it really seems hardly worth the agro. :ebay: :swear:
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Re: Who thinks eBay charges are a rip off?

Post by Hot_Protein »

I hate ebay.
retroman81

Post by retroman81 »

I'm beginning to really dislike it now! :(
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Yes, the fees are expensive, however, Ebay gives you potential access to million of buyers. Putting a card in the village shop window has lower fees than Ebay, but the chances are you won't sell your niche items that way.
You pays your money and takes your choice........

Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

It's not my favourite way of marketing my stock but people today seem unable to pick up the phone and order directly from me.
True, the E Bay fees are a pisstake but they don't give a shit, there's sod all protection for sellers either but it seems people would rather buy through E Bay so I'll have to stick with it.
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

As I ever use Ebay to sell buying is stupidly useful.

If I say wanted to ring Capri gear for parts I'd have to do it during my break at work
or if I get home early enough after work.

Ebay I can hit buy it now or bid at 03:22 in the morning.

as we all know it does have some serious advantages.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

blitzy wrote:
If I say wanted to ring Capri gear for parts I'd have to do it during my break at work
or if I get home early enough after work.
You can of course e-mail him at any time. You will get a reply.

Going back to the original point, listing fees are linked to the item type/category. 35p is high, if you changed the category it would lower.
retroman81

Post by retroman81 »

pbar wrote: listing fees are linked to the item type/category. 35p is high, if you changed the category it would lower.
I have looked into this and apparently eBay are trying to simplify the way they structure their charges, so you now get 20 free listings per month and on every item after that there is a flat fee of 35p, even on items starting at 99p!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I understand Martin's point about buyer's who prefer Ebay, however, I would say that sometimes the person browsing might see an item that they weren't originally intending to purchase.
It's happened to all of us, whether on Ebay or in an actual shop.

Back on topic, it's been quite some time since I've sold anything on Ebay. I notice now that Ebay fees are paid on the final value plus postage, which never used to be the case. So, if your item sells for £20 all in, the Ebay fee is 10% (£2.00) and the Paypal fee will be £0.88. Therefore you will receive £17.12, or 85.6% of the total. This isn't going to be a popular view, but I think that is reasonable considering the size of the marketplace available to sellers.

All the best,
Andrew.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

It's like a car boot sale that you stay at for a week or more with millions of the worlds population walking by.#

I do hate ebay though.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi,
I understand Martin's point about buyer's who prefer Ebay, however, I would say that sometimes the person browsing might see an item that they weren't originally intending to purchase.
Then there's always the option to phone Martin, to see if he has one you can buy, of course.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hot_Protein wrote:It's like a car boot sale that you stay at for a week or more with millions of the worlds population walking by.
Hi,
That's an accurate analogy, except for one small difference. At the car boot sale, two or more buyers won't get in a bidding war and inflate prices. Good for sellers, bad for buyers. Is that the reason why you say you hate Ebay? For me, the only downside to Ebay is that there is an awful lot of rubbish in the world, and it all seems to end up for sale on there! However, there are enough bobby dazzlers in amongst the tat to make it all worthwhile (Yes, I've been watching 'The Duke' again!).

Andrew.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

peers.dupp wrote:
Hot_Protein wrote:It's like a car boot sale that you stay at for a week or more with millions of the worlds population walking by.
Hi,
That's an accurate analogy, except for one small difference. At the car boot sale, two or more buyers won't get in a bidding war and inflate prices. Good for sellers, bad for buyers. Is that the reason why you say you hate Ebay? For me, the only downside to Ebay is that there is an awful lot of rubbish in the world, and it all seems to end up for sale on there! However, there are enough bobby dazzlers in amongst the tat to make it all worthwhile (Yes, I've been watching 'The Duke' again!).

Andrew.
No I hate ebay because you search for car seats and you get 10121 car seat covers. I hate ebay because dickheads have lots of 0 feedback accounts to bid on things they don't really want, and you can't stop them. I hate ebay because you can't give bad buyers neg feedback. Also my wife sold a top stating what size it was; a woman bought it then said it didn't fit and demanded a refund. There is not much seller protection.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hot_Protein wrote:No I hate ebay because you search for car seats and you get 10121 car seat covers. I hate ebay because dickheads have lots of 0 feedback accounts to bid on things they don't really want, and you can't stop them. I hate ebay because you can't give bad buyers neg feedback. Also my wife sold a top stating what size it was; a woman bought it then said it didn't fit and demanded a refund. There is not much seller protection.
Hi,
Fair enough, those are all valid points.
The worst thing about Ebay as a seller is the vast amounts of, erm, idiots on the site who are able to bid on items and they don't bother to read the description properly. As you say, there is not much seller protection on the site these days if one of those people bid on your item.
I guess Ebay felt their growth was being restricted by reports of poor buying experiences, and wanted to make the site into a safe online retail experience like Amazon, for example. To be fair, they have probably succeeded in weeding out a lot of unscrupulous sellers, but probably at the expense of genuine sellers.

Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

There is absolutely no protection for the sellers, buyers can piss them around, leave negative feedback but the sellers can't leave negative for the buyers.
All I do is block anyone from bidding on my items if I get any grief. Ebay isn't like a proper auction anyway, in a proper auction if you win the bids then the item is yours, E Bay is just a game to a lot of poeple, something to play on after you've come in after a curry and a gutfull of beer!
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

Considering they could have lost all our passwords and personal info to some bedroom hacker, yes, I think they are a rip off.

Rich
chris_v888
Car(s): pontiac formula 400 (restoration project)

Post by chris_v888 »

yep thay charge you to put add on and charge you if you dont sell and on top of that thay rob you when you sell take the peeeeeeee dont you think????
retroman81

Post by retroman81 »

I think my eBay days are coming to an end, I have now sold everything that's worth any money and I did used to stick 100 items on a month starting at 99p (ebay recommend this) with the old free listings allowance, to do that now would cost me £28, by the law of averages out of 100 items I may sell 10-15 ,it's really not worth the bother, especially as they take 10% of the final sale amount inc P&P, charge 35p to list then Paypal take 3.4% and a 20p transaction fee, plus all the aggro packing and posting!

From now on I will only list when I have something worth selling, I don't now how some sellers make any money on the items they sell, I have noticed in the last week I'm selling quite a few items, maybe this is because the low priced stuff will be in shorter supply due to the new pricing structure.

There was talk of Google setting up a competitor for eBay (Gbay) fingers crossed.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

retroman81 wrote:There was talk of Google setting up a competitor for eBay (Gbay) fingers crossed.
Hi,
Good luck to them, but I doubt much will come of that. Yahoo used to have an auction site to rival Ebay, but had much lower fees for sellers, but it didn't catch on.
I think Ebay has just become too big and well-known now for any competitor to muscle in.

Andrew.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

eBay is a fucking curse (apologies for swearing) before eBay I used my fucking eyes to find real bargain cars. I walked up drives. Banged on doors with cash and got bargains.

Now everyone just whacks it on eBay and watches the bids. There's no fun in that.... "Oh. Look what I won on eBay, this fucked 32/36 carburettor for just £301". I mean seriously???? Wtf is going on. 15 years ago it was "look what I found in a customers garage, these 45 dcoes. I gave him a score".

The bit that gets me most are the ones that moan about prices of stuff are the ones that use bloody eBay and feed the evil thing.

Since eBay there's no such thing as a bargain anymore.