worried about driving the capri

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: worried about driving the capri

Post by stevemarl »

(posted in error)
c.turff
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 1,6 laser. Daily driver ( LPG converted )

Post by c.turff »

I can definatly agree that regular maintenance will keep most of the nightmares away. And also dont ignore a problem because you "can run with it". This is from personal experience. I use my 1.6 as my daily driver to get to work at watford gap. Its a 70 mile round trip per day. I am cutrently off work because I cant get in due to my head being totally fubar'd
This if because my lpg has been running lean for 20000 miles and has cracked the head. Long story short I love my capri and in a modern car that would be game over. In my capri its a sinple case of a new head on the way.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

I have a 1.6 head if you need one, I'm not far.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Go on Glyn give him head.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

This thread is turning into a Julian Clary monologue! :shock:
80s kid
Car(s): Ford 2.0s auto daily driver

Post by 80s kid »

stevemarl wrote:My brothers car will probably be scrapped at next MOT `cos the airbag light is on, this is an intermittent fault which defies diagnosis. TBH the cost of `stuff` + resetting ECUs, it`s not financially viable. Other than that, bodywise, mechanically - perfectly sound.
What cars he got mate? I have a fiat stilo that had the same problem. Aslong as the lights are off and the codes are wiped it can be passed.

I got a bloke to fit an emulator in my stilo cost me 35 quid on ebay. It makes the sensor think someones in the seat at all times. He wiped the codes and thats all fine mate.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

Big Mike wrote:
80s kid wrote:I will keep on top of it. I am reading my manuals to link up parts in the book to the actual parts on the engine. It will help if i know what everything does before i start messin about.

I agree about the modern cars tho, once the engine light comes on in my van its all over. No quick fix there.
Chin up Dude, I do know where you're coming from when talking about relying on your car as a daily driver, but since it's worrying you so much - I've told you before to go and have a chat with Russ at Shelby, you know where it is - you said you pass it in the van most days so drop in even without the car and have a chat, he's a really top bloke and I guarantee he'll give you confidence to trust him to work on your motor, once he's seen the car he'll soon tell you what's right and wrong - I know there's a cost involved from that point on but seems to me it's that peace of mind you need as well as knowing there's someone behind you knows what they're doing.

Anyway I'm off to the lockup to attempt to refit my seats for the first time since I did my back in so wish me luck lol :nopity: ;)

I keep meaning to go up mate but been busy atm and you no what that roads like for parking. I will prob send it in for a service or something routine and have a chat with him. If u take your car there and happy with the work then mine wont be much of a challenge for him.

Good look with the seats mate
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

80s kid wrote:What cars he got mate? I have a fiat stilo that had the same problem
ha ha - it`s a Punto!! The thing is, we can get it reset but there`s an intermittent fault, somewhere, which keeps tripping an error code & light on. (Yes, we know about the connector just above the glovebox - that`s fine!) The airbag has it`s own ECU which you can`t reset yourself as I understand it - at least that`s what we gather from Fiat Forum?
TBH, if it was mine I`d `adapt` it so that the light came & went as required - but he`s just bought himself a new Fiesta anyway, so I`m buggered if I`m gonna waste my time fixing up what will be a run-around for his wife.... :lol:
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

I hate my fiat.

The airbag sensor is in the seat and its that thats prob nakerd like mine, the airbag will still work. To get the circuit they have to rip it out the seat and then they replace the circuit and seat which costs a bomb. Thats how the mehanic explained it to me.

If he has a new car theres not much point in messing about with it then as u say.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:
80s kid wrote:What cars he got mate? I have a fiat stilo that had the same problem
ha ha - it`s a Punto!!
Hi,
I can't see why the Italians have a reputation for dodgy electrics! ;)
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

peers.dupp wrote:
stevemarl wrote:
ha ha - it`s a Punto!!
Hi,
I see the Italians are still living up to their reputation for dodgy electrics! ;)
Andrew.
Someone call the PC police lol.

My dashboard was like Blackpool illuminations a few weeks back but I kept driving it. When I had the emulator in the bloke put it on his computer and no other problems were coming up.

Lets all advance shall we, goin bloody backwards the human race is.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Before we leave this, I still can`t see why a car is illegal if the airbag doesn`t work, yet legal if it isn`t fitted? Nobody is at risk other than yourself so, other than to get old cars scrapped so they sell new ones & keep the economy chugging along, it seems very harsh. Just IMHO.

As far as italian wiring goes, from day 1 it had some `idiosyncracies`.... I seem to think if you lowered the RH front window, the power steering (electric) went off? Something along those lines?
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

I have a knakerd lap belt on one rear seat of my capri so I hid it under the seat, forgot all about it but nothing came up on the mot I was told it would be checked if it was there.

On modern cars aslong as the lights are off and no codes on the computer it will pass, on my van I lost all power once, problem was the DPF and EGR so I had it took off the ecu. The parts are doing their job just the sensors aren't picking it up making everything cost loads of money.
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator
Car(s): "Bertha":- Under reconstruction.
1.6 Laser :- Daily Driver.
Peugeot E7 XS:- Cash box .... Kerrching!!!!!!

Post by PeterG2.8 »

Can you not just take the bulb out? :deadhorse:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

PeterG2.8 wrote:Can you not just take the bulb out? :deadhorse:
If only! No, the rules have tightened, now specify that it has to illuminate (and go out)

(Plus it`s probably LED & built into a sealed unit.....)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:If only! No, the rules have tightened
Hi,
The MOT is incredibly strict these days for a new car. Whereas my friend's '61 Mini doesn't have to do much more than turn up at an MOT station annually to pass.......
Ironically, as has been said, a modern car even without the airbag working will be a much safer place to be in than a Mini in the event of an accident.
All the best,
Andrew.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

Oh well I ain't bought the car just to sit there. I'm off down the pub in it and listen to other people's stories about owning capris, I'm getting good at picking the bull out now.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

Drove it to the pub then the Chinese not to far, need to get out the habit of gauge watching. Hope it's a nice day tomoz for a ride
rigden439
Car(s): Ford Capri 3.0 Ghia Auto 1977 (rolling restoration)

Post by rigden439 »

I can understand your fear when you may not be very mechanically minded, as i am. However, if you just try a few bits yourself, and if you know of an old man, like my father-in-law, who used to work on such cars, in his day, it can help a lot. i have had my mk2 nearly a year now, i bought it off a guy who turns out did a very good job on the running gear of my car, it runs great thankfully.

However i too was always wary of going too far from home in case it breaks down. Today though i have just come back from a long weekend in Mablethorpe in the car which is 100 mile from home. The car seemed to love it especially when it had properly warmed up. The car now has a big head from all the attention it received from visitors to the seaside. I love how it puts smiles on people's faces and guarantees a friendly conversation to be started. Enjoy your car as much as you can. It is the best thing i have ever bought.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

My dad was the mechanic in the family he would of had it apart and back together no probs. Sadly i lost him january just gone. I really wanted him to see the capri cuz he new how much i always wanted one. But anyway life must go on and he learnt himself so can i.

My uncle has helped me abit which is great. I just need to learn to look at simple solutions to problems. I got quite abit of work to go before it can do a ton plus mile trip.