Bad news / Good news... mostly good

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
coyb1878
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1982 2.8i black over silver (good condition but not perfect)

Bad news / Good news... mostly good

Post by coyb1878 »

The Haynes manual and new accelerator cable arrived today from CCI. All happy, I flicked to the section for replacing the cable and bugger me if that page isn't totally blank (just a white page) !

All other pages in the book look present and correct, but not the one I need right now.. what are the chances?

On the bright side however, I took a second look at my current cable on the car to see if I could suss things out for myself (I'm sadly lacking in mechanical know how I have to admit) and noticed that the stickyness I have been getting from the accelerator (it's got a lot worse recently and I really have to press hard to get it moving) looked to be in fact comming from the throttle linkage (?) on top of the engine. So... a little 3in1 later, and it's now smooth as silk. Yay, result! 8-)

Is that something that needs doing from time to time? Or a sign that the linkage is starting to ware?

Anyway, I'm happy for now and I have a brand new accelerator cable in the growing spares box :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Bad news / Good news... mostly good

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I'm glad that you have fixed the sticky throttle cable. Good work, fella! 8-)
I had the same issue with my 2.8 when I bought it. I did as you did, but I also disconnected the throttle cable from the linkage and fed a small amount of 3 in 1 into the actual cable housing to try and make the throttle operation as smooth as possible. It took less than five minutes and worked a treat.
Nearly a year later and it is still as smooth as silk.
All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
By the way, nice 2.8 you have there. Have you repaired the valance yet?
All the best,
Andrew.
coyb1878
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1982 2.8i black over silver (good condition but not perfect)

Post by coyb1878 »

Great to hear the "bit of oil" solution has lasted so well for you Andrew.

As for the front valance, no I'm afraid I haven't done anything on that yet. I will, but probably not for a while :(

Cheers!
gt-bloke
Car(s): '85 2.0 Laser FR32 & 38 DGAS + Ford Weight Saving Kit (daily runner) - '77 1.6 GL (missus) - '69 2.0 GT XLR (project)

Post by gt-bloke »

Quick Tip - Standard Bicycle rear brake cable does the trick quite nicely and the cable is silicone coated so the action is lighter than the standard Ford one, I always keep a spare one in the car for 'just in case' and I've been using a bike cable for years on my daily driver.. 8-)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

gt-bloke wrote:Quick Tip - Standard Bicycle rear brake cable does the trick quite nicely and the cable is silicone coated so the action is lighter than the standard Ford one, I always keep a spare one in the car for 'just in case' and I've been using a bike cable for years on my daily driver.. 8-)
Hi,
Nice tip, thanks.
How have you joined the cable to the linkage on the engine? The ends look different.
All the best,
Andrew.