Response from Shell regarding Ethanol content of V-Power

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Response from Shell regarding Ethanol content of V-Power

Post by rich_jc »

I thought I would start a new thread for this as the last one was getting a little long winded.

To cut a long story short, I asked shell a few weeks ago whether their V-Power Nitro+ unleaded contained any bio-ethanol content.

Here was the response I received today:

"Dear Mr Clifford,

Thank you for your email. Please accept my personal apology for the delay of this response as we are currently receiving high volume of enquiries via email.

I can confirm that Shell V-Power unleaded contains up to 5% ethanol as stipulated by the European fuel specification EN228 and UK government legislation. In addition Shell FuelSave Regular Unleaded and Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded also contain up to 5% ethanol. This is in order to respond to the European Union and UK government’s initiative to promote biofuels, whose aim is to reduce CO2 emissions and enhance energy supply security.

For the latest information on biofuel legislation in the UK, please consult the Department for Transport’s website http://www.dft.gov.uk/.

At Shell, we are passionate about fuel, and our dedicated fuel scientists work continuously in the lab to bring you the most advanced and effective fuels.

Once again, thank you for contacting Shell UK. We do hope you have found this information useful.

If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to email us back.

Regards,
Karen
Shell UK Oil Products Ltd"

So "up to 5%" I suppose could be 0% or could be 5%. Not very helpful if you ask me, but looks like I will stick with the millers fuel additive.
I may contact BP with the same question about their super stuff, but suspect I will get the same ambiguous answer.

Rich
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Response from Shell regarding Ethanol content of V-Power

Post by Peter-S »

rich_jc wrote: So "up to 5%" I suppose could be 0% or could be 5%. Rich
Much like the Head and Shoulders ads - "removes up to 100% of dandruff". Which means what exactly :?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
rich_jc
Donator
Donator

Post by rich_jc »

Maybe we should start putting head and shoulders in the tank. Probably would do less harm than this bio-ethanol crap.

As an aside, "growing" fuels being a green practice is false and cannot last long term. It encourages countries with sruggling economies to clear vast areas of land of carbon soaking trees and vegetation so that they can grow the stuff, which then has to be transported and fermented and refined, and then added to traditional fuel.

Maybe they transport it on the same boats they carry all the open cast mined nickel used in hybrid cars half way around the world.

Rant over.

Rich
Matty2148
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk1 GLX

Post by Matty2148 »

Heres an odd additive, some owners of diesel jaguars add 2 stroke oil to the fuel, apparently it stops piston slap and seriously reduces the noise of the engine, plus it lubes the pump and injectors! I dont own a diesel so can`t say owt, but that tells me that something is now missing from diesel or the country of origin for the engine has a diffrent grade diesel?
Big Mike
Donator
Donator
Car(s): No Capri at the moment but will bounce back one day!

Post by Big Mike »

Matty2148 wrote:Heres an odd additive, some owners of diesel jaguars add 2 stroke oil to the fuel, apparently it stops piston slap and seriously reduces the noise of the engine, plus it lubes the pump and injectors! I dont own a diesel so can`t say owt, but that tells me that something is now missing from diesel or the country of origin for the engine has a diffrent grade diesel?
I can vouch for this - a guy I used to work with until recently added a little 2 stroke to every tank full of diesel in his Kia Sorrento for the exact same reason. He pulled a caravan with it and had recently had it re-mapped and the guy who set it all up advised it!

I have to say it seemed particularly smelly and smokey when running from cold if you were following him out of the gate - but then again I don't know if they all are!
rich_jc
Donator
Donator

Post by rich_jc »

There must be something to it I suppose, otherwise why would 2 stroke engines need the stuff? I would worry about long term effects though. I mean, how would you know how much to put in?

I had to chuckle, I read the owners manual for my '96 318 beemer, and it actually says for the diesel engines to put up to 1/4 of a tank of petrol in if temperatures drop below -10 degrees.

Oh how engines have change in the last 15 years.

Rich
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Makes sense putting petrol in a diesel engine.

Never heard of the practise of putting 2 stoke oil in a diesel, but always been told that diesels last longer because the fuel is semi lubricating. If the manufactures of fuel have removed it to make it greener then it does have some logic but still would need to see some hard evidence to persuade me to do it.

2 stokes need it in the fuel as there is no sump or oil to be pumped around the engine. The only oil to lubricate the engine comes in the fuel.

That's why the old sabb 2 stokes would seize up if you coasted in gear.
Matty2148
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk1 GLX

Post by Matty2148 »

Thats what I`m saying diesel OIL should be more than able to lube its self and protect parts, so why does two stroke have such an effect?! When I 1st read about it I was also in serious doubt, but it turns out its a very common trick for ford/jag diesel owners. One old boy says hes used baby oil since having a merc....is baby oil even flamable? :shock:
Apparently as mentioned above, its common knowledge for most diesel owners in clubs and all this malarky?!?!