list of possible engines.....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
NewbieFord
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6 laser in black

list of possible engines.....

Post by NewbieFord »

I've been thinking, instead of the old rover v8 that hasn't got that much power, why not try something differant like an alfa v6, 3 litre v8 from a ferrari (if you can afford to) these would be my favourite to get hold of but could it be done?
Insurance wise for an 18 year old it was the Capri.... or the 1.0 fiesta. I chose the loud, shouty car instead =D
mini
Car(s): mk3 capri 2.0 zetec laser

Re: list of possible engines.....

Post by mini »

some one has done a bmw m5 lump in there
rousecapri
Car(s): capri mk3 3lt ghia(long term project) land rover discovery daily driver 2lt mpi

Post by rousecapri »

have put rover v8's in to capri
first one was a 3.5.............was ok power wise but all ways needed a bit more
have just put in a 3.9 which was 184bhp b4 mods......should now be about 225bhp(has modded heads and holley 390 + a few other bits
this has transformed the car..............ok its not the most powerfull by any means and i know there are 2lt pintos that get near the power of the v8,but its goes very very well,lights the rear tyres easily...........and then there is the noise...........................:)
the rovers aint a straight forward swap..............................
alfa v6 ...........:)
bmw 3.0/3.5 straight six diesel.....can be tuned to silly power.....:) and get good mpg
Bigger is better,there is no replacement for displacement
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Post by Beakster »

It all comes down to cost and ease of fitting. The 24V Cosworth engine is a favourite because it uses the same bottom end at the 2.8 engine. This means it sits on the existing cross member and mates to the type 9 gear box. Other engines will fit but typically require more custom parts to be made up.
BMWcapri
Car(s): BMW V8 powered '81 Calypso

Post by BMWcapri »

As Beakster says, it all depends how much custom fabrication you can either do yourself or pay somebody else to do for you when it comes to foreign motors.
Sump position is important, lots of modern motors have front-sumps which doesn't work with the capri's crossmember position.
My little website (signiture link) shows some of the headaches of fitting a bmw v8. After my experiences if i was starting again i'd just use a yank 302/350 V8, far simpler and easier to tune than modern EFi motors.