Something different to planes........ but probably as borin

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Something different to planes........ but probably as borin

Post by STOCK...tm »

Back end of last year the company i work for purchased two secondhand Volvo coaches.... both 9.5m long but one having 41 seats, the other only 28.... comfy seats :D
Being of 1986 vintage they have actually reached classic status......

This was when we went to collect them from Paisley, scotland.... The front one is in its original colour..... first owner was Glenton Tours.... from 1989 this coach only worked 6 months a year around the Scottish islands..... the other went to a couple of different companies..... Registrations are C193 CYO and C194 CYO , both starting life with Glenton Tours, also..... the chassis numbers follow on (came down production line together) and the body numbers follow on (in the correct order the chassis's were driven to scarborough's Plaxton factory and followed each other down the production line there) True sisters in every way....

I convinced my boss that it would be a good idea to have the red one repainted the same colour as the other..... so it went away for painting.....

And this is how it came back...... i did tell them not to paint the grill and headlight surrounds....but they did....looks wrong...

And the colour isnt the same :banghead: not sure which colour is correct but the bloke who runs the company that did the paintwork used to work at the plaxton factory and probably helped build both of them!

Oh... and they got the phone number on the back wrong...... which is odd as they have phoned the right number many times!

I decided to rectify the grill and headlight surround issue with some we had....

Not bad for a 25 year old coach...... I drove this one back from Scotland (to Selby,N yorkshire) and its a pleasure to drive.....infact.... i prefer it to the 206 auto i have to enjure at the moment!
Image ImageImage
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Re: Something different to planes........ but probably as borin

Post by mjcapri »

So are they B10M's then or B56's? Can't remember when the models changed....

Not as good as a Leyland National..... :D :beer:
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Post by STOCK...tm »

Yes, both are B10M's.... i think the switch over from the B58 was around 1981.... we do actually have an old supreme thats B58..... first volvo coach i drove..... hasnt been used for a few years now... hoping to restore it .

was fitted with the eaton two speed axle.....

Never really been a leyland man......but the first truck engine i had apart...at 15 was a Marathon..... i was browsing photo's on the net and i came across a photo...... the company had two and this was taken when new...so it could of been the same one......

The company mainly had volvo and scania, i have a soft spot for the old F7's..... and at work we have an old F6 tipper on a W plate 1980....... another that i want to restore :)
Image ImageImage
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

So - you can work the Eaton twin split then? Great fun if you can "do" it but a nightmare whilst you learn. Haven't driven one in about 4 years, don't think there can be many about now.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Old transport is good Stock 8-)

Here's a steam engine I saw last month :)

ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

340truck wrote:So - you can work the Eaton twin split then? Great fun if you can "do" it but a nightmare whilst you learn. Haven't driven one in about 4 years, don't think there can be many about now.

No... its a two speed rear axle..... has a high and low ratio.... when the coach was new it would of been the mutts nuts..... when i was at secondary school it was being used for school work...... same body style as the school bus i got on, that was bedford powered.... the other coach we got had a different body (Duple) and had the B58 chassis..... always wondered what it would be like to drive one.....years later i was driving one of them!
Image ImageImage
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

Peter-S wrote:Old transport is good Stock 8-)

Here's a steam engine I saw last month :)

Where was that??

I prefer old vehicles.... they were designed by men to do a job....and were kept SIMPLE!

At work the newest coach is a 91 !
Image ImageImage
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

STOCK...tm wrote: Where was that??

I prefer old vehicles.... they were designed by men to do a job....and were kept SIMPLE!

At work the newest coach is a 91 !

Haverthwaite in the Lakes.
They also had this old girl - maybe more you. 14 litre engine apparently

ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

thats a diamond T , fitted with a non standard cummins 220 .... 14 litre
Image ImageImage
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I like the old B58 Stock, hopefully you'll get time to restore it! I see it has the obligatory Paramount front..... :lol:

So was that a TL12 in the Marathon then? Never worked on one but I have on an AEC AV760 which I believe is what Leyland based the TL12 on, basically by adding a turbo.
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

im pretty sure is was the tl12.... tis a few years ago now........ I was actually still at school but work there on holidays and weekends til i finished school..... the marathon had done its lifetimes work and had been used as a compressor round at the other yard....so spent all its time on tickover.....it eventually spun a big end shell,,, so i got the job of replacing the one shell and cleaning up the journal.... it was going for scrap/export and had to be a runner...... and once i had finished it ran fine..... not bad for 15 year old..... same time as i started driving around the yard....my first lesson being in a volvo f7 unit...... i was buzzing :)
Image ImageImage
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Great stuff! The first truck I drove was an FL7 on an 'E' plate.... I had it going as well as the FL10's! :drive: