What is the point of voting?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

What is the point of voting?

Post by Major_Tom »

..seriously, enlighten me.

I don't agree with any party's policies, yet people fought and died so I could vote. So what am I supposed to do? Vote for the one I hate least? Not vote? Spoil my paper by writing GAY on it?

Oh of course! It's my choice isn't it! Oh joy. Fucking joy.

Seriously, what's the point? I don't like any party. Voting for the one I hate least will compound the fact I have no choice. I might as well just spoil my paper again. But that makes me feel guilty quite frankly. We're the most basic of political tools I feel, voters, that's all we do, vote for people we dislike the least, so we definitely get in a party we don't like. We're morons for going along with this as long as we have.

See the dilemma? What are we supposed to do with our "free" voice if it always shouts the names of the least tyrannical tyrant?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Re: What is the point of voting?

Post by -JC- »

That's the sytem really isn't it? The least hated party will win :roll: I don't really bother voting, the same party always wins by a pretty large majority, what difference does one extra dissenter make?
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Whether you vote or not someone will be in charge and as they will not be getting in on policies of free beer and no speed limits their popularity level will be minimal. Leaders have to make unpopular decisions and most of the time the man in the street thinks he could do a better job without really knowing what's involved at the sharp end. The trouble with displaying appathy is that the man in the street then has less influence. Why should your representative in parliament take any notice of public opinion when only, say, 40% of the voting public bothered to vote. Now lets say 80% vote then I would like to think that public opinion would be given more credence. Appathy breads contempt which is why I vote and did so this morning. Free country of course with lots of parties to vote for, or not, but unless you have a better answer I reckon you should be putting a cross against someone's name.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

Why not stand for council yourself Tom? If you don't feel the peeps who are willing to do it are good enough, why not try yourself?

I don't want to get too political, but can I please emplore people not to vote BNP. They just use popularist headlines to get votes, when if they ever came to power, I would imagine our country being like that of the one depicted in "children of men", except with more kids.

Rich
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Remember the parliamentary under-secretaries don't change with the party that gets in. They're there to keep continuity and make certain that radical ideas don't get bounced in and out every 4-5 years.
I know who I suspect 'engineers' most of the policies we see!

But then, I'm an old fart and a firm believer that scepticism is just optimism tainted by experience! :(
daisyduke
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 mark III Laser running 115bhp

Post by daisyduke »

the local lib dem man came to my house to plug his party and told me he would put table top speed humps down my road... i pointed out my vehicle to him and 'nuff' was said.... :(
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Major_Tom wrote:..seriously, enlighten me.

I don't agree with any party's policies, yet people fought and died so I could vote. So what am I supposed to do? Vote for the one I hate least? Not vote? Spoil my paper by writing GAY on it?

Oh of course! It's my choice isn't it! Oh joy. Fucking joy.

Seriously, what's the point? I don't like any party. Voting for the one I hate least will compound the fact I have no choice. I might as well just spoil my paper again. But that makes me feel guilty quite frankly. We're the most basic of political tools I feel, voters, that's all we do, vote for people we dislike the least, so we definitely get in a party we don't like. We're morons for going along with this as long as we have.

See the dilemma? What are we supposed to do with our "free" voice if it always shouts the names of the least tyrannical tyrant?
Agreed Tom, theres not one single party I would vote for now. I havent voted since i was 18 and I dont think I ever will again. No-one has the intrests of a 29 year old average single man at heart, on taxes, home ownership, wages or the cost of living. Not one. Wankers the lot of them. The big 3 are shit, and suprise suprise if labour loose who wins the votes? Tories. Yawn... boring, why cant joe public en masse vote for someone else than those tossers.

Olly W
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

No matter who you vote for the government always gets in...
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
thefatcapri
Car(s): Custom all-steel X-packed MkIII Capri with 3.9 litre Rover V8

Post by thefatcapri »

InvalidBoy wrote:No matter who you vote for the government always gets in...
Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band?

I think it was Crass that said "When You Vote, Government Wins"...
TESLACOIL
Car(s): ive had half a dozen 1.6s and one 2litre (all mark3s)

Saving up the pennies again, im relay tempted to get a Microvan, But if i don't im looking at picking up another capri as a workhorse

...love that boot, big engine bay & lack of computerized lectrics.... ill decide if i limp home on 3 cylinders overheating with a knackered battery & the tail gateopen

chips is what i eat 4 dinnerz !

Post by TESLACOIL »

the only 1 thing anyone realy want from a govournment is.....

GOOD GOVERNANCE

i will never ever ever ever understand how out of a population of 60million we cant find JUST 600 human beings who have got there heads screwed down hard

The truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth....how hard is it to find the truth and make a decision when you have an army of civil servant to find the truth for you
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can afford to live and act like a twot...but when i make important descisions for other people i leave my ego and bias out of it....something politicians cant get there head round

i would happily pay each and every politician a salary of ten million a year if they could act in accordance to the above.

we would never have a stockmarket crash, a housing crisis an immigration problem or a dodgy war....it would be worth every penny

we can pay a man millions a year to kick a ball or sing a song....and we get some good goals and good music

pah policheetans make me puke....the way they speak on tv...if i spoke to u like that down the pub id be eating my peanuts from the wrong end of my body in no time at all

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

there is however a solution to the problem that you can always tell a bigger lie than the truth & fool (thats u + me the voters)

we must stop voting the tw*ts in....but alas most humans are so biased and live in a tiny world of their own that they can only vote for self interest....and so the cycle continues

until the majority of voters GET A LIFE or a least a true perspective of the world outside there own life there is no hope 4 change

my 2 cents

you may as well vote for the BNP ....they will never win and the labor/com/lib will never admit that they have any decent policies

in fact all this anti BNP rhetoric goes to show how shallow the big 3 are

IF THEY HAD DECENT POLICIES & POLITICIANS IN THE FIRST PLACE THE BNP WOULDNT WIN A FIGHT WITH THEIR OWN REFLECTION

tbh i think a good % of BNP voters actually voted for the BNP JUST because the other parties said not too
TESLACOIL
Car(s): ive had half a dozen 1.6s and one 2litre (all mark3s)

Saving up the pennies again, im relay tempted to get a Microvan, But if i don't im looking at picking up another capri as a workhorse

...love that boot, big engine bay & lack of computerized lectrics.... ill decide if i limp home on 3 cylinders overheating with a knackered battery & the tail gateopen

chips is what i eat 4 dinnerz !

Post by TESLACOIL »

in fact maybe we should all vote

and across the ballot paper write these two words

GOOD GOVERNANCE

if 50% of the ballot papers returned with this maybe it would make a diff

certainly more productive than "none of the above"
Vix

Post by Vix »

I agree with Rich I think major Tom should run. I do find myself sitting at the computer nodding when reading MT's rants, he does speak alot of sense considering (hehe)
The BNP's political broadcasts were terribly missleading I doubt anyone who voted actually went to their website and read all of their plans not just the media twisted ones to play on our dislike of the 3 main parties.
I have never voted as havent felt ive known enough to make an informed decission and the recent euro elections I was in hospiatal and missed it. But I will certainly be voting in the next election, what/who for I havent decided yet. Probably the lesser of the evils.

Vix