Nat... forced induction with a 38DGAS

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
capri_turbo

Nat... forced induction with a 38DGAS

Post by capri_turbo »

what needs to be done?

I'm very tempted to turbo the 2.1 at some point in the next couple of years... I know that EFI is going to be my best bet for this, but I thought I'd ask about using the 38 first.

ColImage

A Capri is for life... NOT just for Christmas
thesnake505

cool, have u thaught about

Post by thesnake505 »

i know i go on a bit about bike carbs, but have u thaught about them? it is possible to turbo threw them?? just an idea, infact an idea id like to try is turbo/supercharge threw bike carbs but not at the moment other things to doFUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
capri_turbo

Re: cool, have u thaught about

Post by capri_turbo »

don't want to go multi carb... I'd go injection first.

Just something that's going round my head at the moment... it'll probably never happen, but turboing with the 38 would be an easy enough project for me, as it'll mainly be fabricating the manifold etc.Image

A Capri is for life... NOT just for Christmas
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

like you said Colin

Post by Supercharged Nat »

fabricating is the most work. witht he dgas, assuming your keeping boost low <6psi id say you only really need to take care of fueling (using correct jets) and timing- retarding it under boost.

The biggest issue with fueling is getting a fuel pump that produces a high enough pressure and flows enough volume. then you need a boost sensing regulator to control the fuel pressure during off boost and on boost situations.

The floats in the weber twin chokes tend to be brass, they can collapse under boost but like i say low boost youl prob be ok. if youve ever seen those black plastic floats in those carbs, keep it! cos there the floats to use instead of the brass ones (closed cell polymer of some type- ?nitryl?)

the only issue i have with boosting thu a carb atm is, when snapping the throttle off on high over run, it can go lean, this im sure if jetting though, and im still working on it. the gasket between the two carb parts (top and bottom) does have a hard time sealing under boost- takes lots of sealer!

thats about it really. if i think of anything else il post it here..Image

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

Snake:

boostoing though carbs. i couldnt say if they would be ok? the biggest issue seems to be the float chambers need to be vented to the mouth/ opening of the the carb. the floats may or maynot stand up to positive pressure of the turbo. the internals of the carbs simply may not be able to flow the required fuel/ air mix for supercharged or turbocharged applications.

erm.... cant think of anything else yet, been a long day! :)Image

thesnake505

yup know what ur saying

Post by thesnake505 »

however the reason i sujested it is beacuse i know it works, i know that its possible to turbo a bike, again same with ur set up its all low presure stuff, but it is posible, in fact heres a company that does it for bike, im sure if u emailed them they would be able to help with turboing/charging a set of mikunis! its a pipe dream and ill probally not do it, but i think done it would produce good results, remember that bike carbs are conciderd to be higly accurate across the rev range? just a thaught

http://www.holeshotracing.co.uk/tuning/turbo_bike.aspFUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

bloody ell! 550bhp at 22psi!!!!!

crazy!

well, there you go then, seems like it would be an awesome setup!Image

thesnake505

lol

Post by thesnake505 »

got u tempted yet??? hehe, like i said prob never gona hapen but we have to have dreams

ImageFUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE