foam fill crap whats the point ?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
dave fordz
Car(s): capri calypso daily drive (rolling restoration)

foam fill crap whats the point ?

Post by dave fordz »

just spent all morning digging all that FOAM FILL CRAP out of my rear quarters .

I noticerd a bit of the dreaded TIN WORM starting to attack my rear panels where the exhaust

is but couldnt work out how as the was plenty of waxoyle black stuff under there . after

removing the interior panels and digging all that shit out i found it ! :P The water had been

running down the back of it and rusting through . 4hours later and it is now all gone (and so is

all the skin on my hands) ,I look like i have

been attacked by a ferrol cat. NOT A NICE JOB WHAT IS THIS CRAP FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: foam fill crap whats the point ?

Post by Peter-S »

Although it does a brilliant job of trapping moisture I think it's actually meant to be sound proofing material.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

Aye, t'is soundproofing and insulation. I would imagine it does a good job at stopping the rear quarter from resonating at certain speeds.

As said, also a very good moisture trap.

Rich
no2lurch
Car(s): BMW e30 325i Touring

Post by no2lurch »

just because there is the balck stuff there, moisture can still attack. as it dries, it can become disbonded form the metal and allow water in.
Please sponsor me in the Wolverhampton Half Marathon on 6th September 2009 and the Leicester Full Marathon on 11th October 2009 at http://www.justgiving.com/neildalby All money goes to SANDS in memory of our angels. Thank you.
haydn_gnarlerboy
Car(s): Crap 2.0 laser capri, fully modded and fully falling apart.
3.5 V8 Ford Popular (mainly daily driver)
Don't do the nuts up tight on stuff anymore as it'll only have to be taken off in a week anyways....

Post by haydn_gnarlerboy »

hehe most of my back/front end of my car is full ofthat crap...and rolled up newspaper...
it's such a pile of shit...but good for bonding/filling in gaps on body kits, in fact my arches are made of that covered in fibreglass sheet, it's easy to shape and fills EVERYTHING up.....I love the stuff...but get it on your hands and that'sgame over can't even wash em., water makes it stick better they claim...only chance is to rub em in dirt or sand sharpish and rub yo8ur hands together like a mad man....
dave fordz
Car(s): capri calypso daily drive (rolling restoration)

Post by dave fordz »

rich_jc wrote:Aye, t'is soundproofing and insulation. I would imagine it does a good job at stopping the rear quarter from resonating at certain speeds.

As said, also a very good moisture trap.

Rich
when you say RESONATING i take it you mean vibrating not that good on big

words, Any way i wish my car could go at speed id suffer the noise , still saving for a new engine!