found this on they bay, can some one explain

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
thesnake505

found this on they bay, can some one explain

Post by thesnake505 »

why a 16 engine id worth so much, he says 1600s surly its just a gt spec engine? cheers snake

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-CAPRI-GEN-16 ... dZViewItemFUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
haydn_gnarlerboy
Car(s): Crap 2.0 laser capri, fully modded and fully falling apart.
3.5 V8 Ford Popular (mainly daily driver)
Don't do the nuts up tight on stuff anymore as it'll only have to be taken off in a week anyways....

I guess for someone who wanted htat particular engine for th

Post by haydn_gnarlerboy »

be worht it if it's true about teh rarity else he's justhaving a lauhg...no way an old 1.6 was EVER as powerful as a 2.0 ofthe same age....not when they're the same ****ing engine pretty much....I could be wrong but it just seems like a tall tale to moi.
Steal not my pictures else thou shalt incur my displeasure.....Haydn Barker
SpikeCapri

Re: I guess for someone who wanted htat particular engine for th

Post by SpikeCapri »

Hmmm southport, very close to me, now if only i had a capri to put it in, and was flush enough to pay that kinda money for an engine.

Wasnt the GT spec just the same as normal but with a betetr cam in it or something like thatImage
thesnake505

better cam

Post by thesnake505 »

bigger valves, 2.0 carb, it put out 89 horses, the 2.0 put out 98, from what i know talkign to glyn the 1.6 gt head was a hevly modifyed 2.0 head, thou the gt had smaller valves then the 2.0FUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
tck
Car(s): 2.8 Turbo, 2.8 special.

i wanna know what a GT spec engine is??

Post by tck »

only GT model capri in a Pinto i know of is a MK1...and the spec of that aint nowt to shout about...the 1600S was slightly tuned over the normal SOHC pinto found in yer l/gl/LS/Laser etc....deffo had hotter cam,cant for life of me think what carb but deffo webber....valve size i cannot recall without referring to the capri library...tiz quite a sought after motor i presume due to number of years in service...and BHP IS up on normal spec and not far off the 2.0....GET IT BOUGHT!!! lol
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

hmmm I love the 1600's...

Post by InvalidBoy »

they rev beautifully!

The GT spec had a 2litre cam and bigger valves, but 1600 bottom ends will not work with 2litre heads.

The opposite way around does work as it ups the compression ratio.

The 1600 cylinders are narrower than the 2litre ones, so the 1600 bottom end + 2litre head = mushroom chamber with too big a space to be made up via squish...

Anyhoo, the 1600 I built was rr'd at over 100bhp!!! And that was without the bike carbs, just a twin choke weber. I think it was a 32/36 that he used. If you can get the mixture in quick and the waste gas out quick enough the 1600 is a belter...

It's all in the porting, volumetric efficiency et al. Have a read of Vizards book... polishing is not worthwhile on a carbed inlet, but is effective on an injected inlet is just one magic tip you will pick up from it. Standard 1600 valves are big enough to flow plenty mixture.

Naturally, the 1600 will never have the torque of the longer stroke 2litre, but it will rev higher and smoother than a 2litre when sorted.

Simple tuning I reckon...
1600 engine £20,
2litre cam and followers £35,
weber twin choke £30,
rebuilt kit £10,
ported head freeeeee,
gasket kit £15,
vernier cam sprocket (quaife type £10),
leccy ignition kit £20

£140 engine, 100bhp and you will learn loads about engines!!!Image Image
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
SpikeCapri

Re: hmmm I love the 1600's...

Post by SpikeCapri »

....and the smile on your face.......pricelessImage
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

There was also the....

Post by mjcapri »

Mk2 1.6GT, although not for long! I believe the original carb on these engines was a correctly jetted 32/36.

To be honest, the engine, in terms of spec/power, is nothing we couldn't build at home. But, if someone had say a genuine 1.6S which is a rare model, it would be nice to have an original 'S' spec engine. If you're into that side of things of course.

I personally like the 1.6. My red laser has a 32/36 with a K&N and a 4-2-1, although this goes into what I believe to be a standard system. The boxes might not have any muffling stuff in though! Not sure if there's any other mods, but it certainly goes well, or used to go well I should say. As has been said, they rev up really well and are a bit smoother than the 2.0 at high revs, down to the shorter stroke I imagine.

Just thought, the LS has a VV (cough) so that'll need replacing in the near future. What with though I'm yet to decide. Decisions eh?
SwishingMullet
Car(s): 2 x 1.6 LS and a Volvo S60 (daily driver)

In my LS I recentley swapped...

Post by SwishingMullet »

...a 1.6 that was (apart from the valves) as gt spec as you can make, for a stock 2.0 with some porting and skimming - was/am running a 4-2-1 with system and lumenition on both

and it's very true the 1.6 was very revvy compared to the 2.0 a quick boot to the throttle and it really screamed into the red the 2.0 doesn't really like it above 5500

saying that, there is no competition - the 2.0 litre is quicker, instead of nailing it in third your already pulling away strong in fourth!

can definitley say the gt spec 1.6 is a lot livlier than the standard 1.6! i'd recomend that even without a cam swap fit a four branch and webber at least you'll feel a difference (or just drop in a 2.0)

as has been said a genuine 1.6 gt/s engine probably is quite rare though...