Capri dilema!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Capri dilema!

Post by andrewg1323 »

Getting semi tempted to scrap the newer of the to capris, basically it needs a lot of welding, sure i can do it but its gonna take time and its not that bad a car, but if i took it apart and used it to finish the other capri i could have one usable capri pretty quick, now my mian dilema, the other capri has lots of filler patches that whilst i;m semi certain its just a skim of fillar it has the potential to turn out far worse, do i chance it and possibly throw away a capri with the view of getting one on the road sooner or just struggle on and finish both?
Storage is slowly becoming an issue!---------------
Andy
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Why not...

Post by 340truck »

..use bits from one to get it on the road as a quickish tart up, then sort the donor car properly?
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Gah just been out and started the ****ter!

Post by andrewg1323 »

And it started and sounded nice!
Main problem is the worse of the two shells is all legal once put back together, its taxed MOT;d and insured hence i feel i should plough all my time into that

My main concern with it is on the drivers side there is no connection between the floorpan and the sill and i;m not sure on the best route to fix it! will try and get some pics of the damage tomorrow---------------
Andy
Stefan Capri
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri S 2.9 EFI

well without looking

Post by Stefan Capri »

i would say, like what was done at collage to a xr3i. loads of 90 degree angled metal. clean all the other crap out, then weld new angled metal in. haha i know that sounds simple but fact is its not.

good luck with your desision, i really hope you deside against the scrapping. ive scrapped 1 capri before and it was the worst feeling ever, hope you dont have to feel that. i know i wont do it again.

good luck.......stefan

Matty2148
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk1 GLX

Same choice for me 2yrs back.

Post by Matty2148 »

When i bought the yellow one , i started to take bits of the blue one to keep it going just cos the yellow one was MOT`d , but the more i did it the more i wondered why I even had two, so the yellow one went and the blue one got  rebuilt and stuck a V8 in her, it took 8 months to totally finnish (cept paint) . Oh and two MOT failures because i didn`t listen to the tester properly about the N/S rear brake not working. The blue one has a totally rot free chassis so in my eyes it wasn`t a hard choice to get shut of the yellow one. Its your choice and you can sell even crappers on ebay, but i`d save the one with the better chassis.
As for welding, its easy mate, get a sheet of metal big enough, bend it to the right shape and weld, then another with a 90 degree bend and weld the inner cill to the new floor plate . :)
Oh and I now have a MkII , so its on the cards for the blue one to go depending on how the MKII copes with dily use!
Matthew