David Jason's "racist" "joke"

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

David Jason's "racist" "joke"

Post by Major_Tom »

..doesn't seem to be either racist or a joke to me.. is he going senile?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7965058.stm

"Speaking live on air on Tuesday, Sir David said: "What do you call a Pakistani cloakroom attendant?"

After a pause, he said: "Me hat, me coat."

..maybe I'm getting senile. But I don't get it.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Re: David Jason's "racist" "joke"

Post by -JC- »

Guessing it's a play on ma hat ma coat sounding like Mahatma coat. Very unfunny, and I'm actually surprised that anyone in the public eye would risk something like that!
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
haydn_gnarlerboy
Car(s): Crap 2.0 laser capri, fully modded and fully falling apart.
3.5 V8 Ford Popular (mainly daily driver)
Don't do the nuts up tight on stuff anymore as it'll only have to be taken off in a week anyways....

Post by haydn_gnarlerboy »

I've got a well good racist joke:

White men-They ain't got no arse...no arse at all...

that's about on a par with jason's offering....and he was so funny as del boy too-you'd have thought he'd know a load of good jokes playing that part for years......
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

AHahahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't get it?

What I also don't get is why this is news? Let's be honest, no one listens to that crap station anyway, so who actually heard it first time around?

David Jason bless him, he's proper old now.

Rich
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

god if we cant tell a racest joke I aint got any, ohh yes I have loads of jade goody ones, they are bloody brill,
Mickey c
rich_mkiii_turbo
Car(s): zetec'ed 2.8 and 1.6 laser

Post by rich_mkiii_turbo »

What Delboy is assuming that most listeners would know that Gandhi, one of the most important political and historical figures in the world was often referred to as Mahatma, Sanskrit for Great Soul.

this naturally sounds vaguely like "My hat and my" and of course is hillarious.

He should stick to falling through gaps in bars
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

But Ghandi was born in India when Pakistan didn't even exist, so how can the joke be offensive to Pakistani's? Media farce...

Rich
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

*Sits in the corner and sweats...*

The Asian karaoke singer?

Garupen Singh

The Asian hide and seek champion?

Amir

The Russian vet?

Mr Kutzcatscocksov

The Egyptian taxi driver working in Newcastle?

Tootuncomeoot

What do you call a man with a spade in his head?

Doug

Which is racist? I mean one said "spade", an out dated and out moded racist slur.

As a country we need to grow up and confront real issues. Some jokes are racist and hateful. A silly immature play upon words is not necessarily racist.

Indeed, many international football teams steal English footballers...

France had "Des Aily" "Sid Ann" & "Des Champs"

Italy had "Derek Piero"

Portugal had "Ron Aldo"

Are those racist jokes?

Why are we even bothering?
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

I heard the other day that in school they don't do "hide and seek" as it offends some coz it sounds like "hide and seike", Fucking disgrace I say.

Mickey c
capri_sam
Car(s): Cosworth BOA, big exhaust, little bitty axle, bright yellow interior. Not exactly subtle.

Post by capri_sam »

Birmingham council renamed Christmas 'winterval' for a few years. Brilliant name.

The thing is, a joke is only racist if the target is supposed to take offence at it, otherwise it is just wordplay.

What really gets me is when middle class white people start to put words and thoughts into the mouths of people they are supposedly 'protecting'. Take winterval, for example. Someone thought holding a christian festival would offend Muslims. Now, I may be wrong, but I don't think that many Muslims, really, are offended that the christian festival of christmas is allowed to exist. I think most Muslims have more important things to worry about than that. Like being stopped by the police for carrying a suspicious looking bag every time they go to tesco.

It's like the met banning officers from calling people 'bad eggs'. Apparently, that translates to 'egg and spoon', which is cockney rhyming slang for the old racist slur, 'coon'. Setting aside the fact that...

1. It is obviously made up, the only similarity between the two is the word 'egg', which, if taken to mean 'black person', would make 'egg on toast' some sort of code word for a lynching.

and

2. This is the same police force that also banned the word 'nitty gritty', because that was the name for detritus found at the bottom of slave ships after a voyage, and in fact any ship, after any voyage...

No black man is ever, ever going to find the phrase 'bad egg' offensive. It might become offensive, now that the Met have invented it as a slur; But I think that is going to be the least of a guys problems as his car is pulled over on the way to work and searched, again, because he is black, by the same police force that is supposedly trying to protect his feelings.

Anyways...

Suicide bombers. What makes them tick?
Total number of friends who have so far managed to open the passenger door first time: 1.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

rich_mkiii_turbo wrote:What Delboy is assuming that most listeners would know that Gandhi, one of the most important political and historical figures in the world was often referred to as Mahatma, Sanskrit for Great Soul.

this naturally sounds vaguely like "My hat and my" and of course is hillarious.

He should stick to falling through gaps in bars
Delboy! I do that as well, when an actor becomes typecast I look at them as Delboy, the bloke who plays David Jason. Like Victor Meldrew who plays that old geezer I can't rememeber.

Yeah Rich the article is damn stupid to be honest, because there hasn't even been any complaints. So they're going to issue an apology anyway.. in case anyone might complain that didn't hear it when they aired it..

Stupid.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

capri_sam wrote:

Anyways...

Suicide bombers. What makes them tick?
I stood next to a Palestinian Woman at a bus stop today. She turned to me and asked: "Does my bomb look big in this?"
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

capri_sam wrote:Someone thought holding a christian festival would offend Muslims. Now, I may be wrong, but I don't think that many Muslims, really, are offended that the christian festival of christmas is allowed to exist. I think most Muslims have more important things to worry about than that.
Quite! And indeed as Muslims see Islam as a development of Christianity in the same way that Christians see their faith as a development of Judaism- a new Prophet arrives with new teaching and should be followed.
Jesus Christ is a hugely revered figure by Muslims.

There is however an argument that "Christmas" is actually a pagan festival.

Anyhoo, anyone with huge issues about the Christian faith should not really choose to emigrate to Great Britain. For all we are apparently a secular society, the majority of the population still claims to be Christian.

I'm nigh on alcoholic and a rotten old shagger. For those reasons I doubt I'll ever move to an Islamic state!

I imagine I am one of the few committed Christians on this board, but I don't wish to persuade people to join my faith because it's all about free will, choice and faith.

So when people tell me I can't celebrate my faith I put them straight!

Then being a Catholic, I go to penitential mass and say sorry!!!
haydn_gnarlerboy
Car(s): Crap 2.0 laser capri, fully modded and fully falling apart.
3.5 V8 Ford Popular (mainly daily driver)
Don't do the nuts up tight on stuff anymore as it'll only have to be taken off in a week anyways....

Post by haydn_gnarlerboy »

Ah I heard that nitty gritty and good egg article on the news as well...
it's funny though, they are two comments I predominantly hear(d) on TV (though not anymore) from the police/government...I find that rather amusing...

BUt yeah, it's political correctness gone mad....I have my opinions on certain things but they are too weighty to go into using a keyboard with a sticky 'space' key haha....
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Graham Suggs McPherson and Woody have been spotted marching for equal rights...

Its Madness gone politically correct...