What a f@cking day!!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

What a f@cking day!!

Post by Supercharged Nat »

dont it just piss you off! all i wanted to do was nip up the road and get some drink for the week. ive spent all weeking pissing about with the bumpers, exhaust and the flat battery. finally get it done in the burning heat.

im gagging for a for drive cos its been a couple of weeks, so i get going. after a good blast to clear the cobwebs i pull up at the petrol station and go get what i need. i come out, turn the key and click................... nothing else. pop the bonnet hit the starter still nothing. put it in gear and rock the bastard still not working.

only one guy offers to help, (after i had called me old man to come out with a hammer), hes got to be over 65 and says hes got one of the battery packs in his car.
unfortunately it wont help so he leaves. then me and my dad try bump starting on the forecourt, 8 attempts and it rolls into life!

well and truely pissed off right now!!!!!!!!!! and to top it off got working tomorrow, and i really can be f'ing asred!

that starter has done it to me twice now, its getting smashed up with a big hammer when i can be bothered to take it off.Image

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Capri_Andy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Laser 2.9 efi resto (in many pieces)

Same here mate!

Post by Capri_Andy »

Its the heat that does it. Had that alot on my pinto last summer, i went through 3 starter motors.
My 2.9 started doing it friday but it would turn over really slowly so i assumed bad battery terminals or knacker battery. Other times it would start fine. Today finished work, took about 10 attempts at turning the key before it started like normal. Pissed off so i did a long powerslide out of the junction with my LSD, that cheered me up. So im definatly thinking its contacts in the solinoid or something of that nature, Gonna whip it appart tonite. Annoying thing is its only done 78k miles.Image
The big fast red one!
Stefan Capri
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri S 2.9 EFI

haha

Post by Stefan Capri »

after work, started up normal, then decided to go in the boot but it was locked, so i turn it off go in the boot. start it up fires up then dies. fu*k knows why do it again with a few revs and once again dies. then go to flick the key. then i get that crounching noise when the starter dont enguage properly. then flick it again. nothing took about 5 attempts, got fed up opend the bonnet. fiddled with the solinoid wire and it firsed up and hasent done it all day. im begining to think pressure washing down my starter when it was out waent a good idea, its always made more of whiney noise when starting since. oh well lol. i keep a hammer im my car.

then later on i do me tappets, andy and chris seamed to think i was causing more problems leaving them loose and noisy. so i tighten then up. start it up and tic tic tic. f*ck sake. however i did do it when the engine was warmish, so only got myself to blame. so im now gonna let it cool right down the do em again :( i hate doing them.along with today before i did the tappets i knoticed the rocker cover is leaking real bad again. haha. this is a never ending story with all the things that keep going wrong. what a day.......stefan

Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

well ive taken it apart, found a fault fixed and still no go

it had distroyed a brush and its carrier. so ive rebuilt the starter with decent parts, and bench tested it. all seemed well.

then fitted it to the car and nothing, clicking and an attempt to turn the engine over, like a blurt, then nothing.

im begining to think warped flywheel, or seized engine, except i dont think its the engine because its can be bump started and its turns over by hand fairly easily, apart from when on compression, but thats to be expected.

so fooked flywheel then........... anyone care to give their opinion?Image

andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Hmmm

Post by andrewg1323 »

Warped flywheel would only stop it starting if the starter wasnt engaing the ring gear though which is night on impossible to warp it that much and still have it working!
If its just clicking and not going its a wiring fault with th starter surely?

A wapred flywheel wouldnt allow the car to run with a push as it'd rub on the block and slow the engine causingit to stall right?---------------
Andy
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

i was thinking

that it might be warped enough to bind the starter motor pinion gear to the flywheel ring gear. it motor engages with the flywheel, but then it binds up and wont turn it over. from the ring gear that i can see, it looks fine, no damaged teeth or anything like that.

if it was wiring then surely it wouldnt actually engage and attempt to spin the engine? something is tightening up against the flywheel/ ring gear when the starter motor engages.

im at a loss though. Image

Capri_Andy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Laser 2.9 efi resto (in many pieces)

I think mines sorted now

Post by Capri_Andy »

Friday i did try sanding all the terminals, checking earths etc. On saturday i tried jump starting it off the nissan, didnt work, so that told me it wasnt the connections or bad battery.
Whipped starter off today and took solenoid off, and thought nothing of it when it was all oily inside. Then it hit me, are they actually ment to have lubrication in the piston thing? The contacts were oily too but in very good condition as you'd expect for a low milage unit so i cleaned it all, bit of sand paper on the contacts to make em shiney. Wacked it back on, so far so good....
I dont usualy get an easy time when something goes wrong on my car, and it was beginning to piss me off. If its not the diff exploding its a starter motor packing in, usually has my car off the road for days.Image
The big fast red one!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: i was thinking

Post by Peter-S »

I had less than impressive turnover a while back on a new battery then changed the clutch and forgot to disconnect the battery when I took the starter out, there were a few sparks and the main power cable had burnt through. Looking at it I reckon it was corroded anyway and having cut the cable back an inch and cleaned and reconnected the spade connector it spins much faster now. I'd had a couple of odd episodes of clicking and no engine turning a while back too and it seems to me it was probably the cable so might be worth checking or replacing yours.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr