Anyone got OBD Reader Experience?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Anyone got OBD Reader Experience?

Post by andrewg1323 »

ANy ideas what to look out for in scan tools? I;m looking to buy something a bit cool soonish!---------------
Andy
Stefan Capri
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri S 2.9 EFI

ive had a bit

Post by Stefan Capri »

and used a few differnt types, First one i used was at collage, that was a proper scanner tool that connected the computer to a interface box then u had to select the correct wire to go into the obd socket. the other i have used is used in most garages and seams to be quite popular, coz it checks most velicles for fault codes and is updated regularlly. and thats a scanner (thats what its called) i think snap on do one, but cant remember but these items are not cheap.
1 of these but this is the newer version. http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnos ... ir=catalog

]
then there is the type u see in halfords that only does obd1/2 sockets, cant say much about these as never used one

there is another 1 u can get, ebay sells a lot of usd connectors for laptops, then you can find the programs on the net, this is the best option in my opinion. as this does give you a lot of other options to play with, as did the 1 i used at collage.

but u havent really said what you want it for, fault codes or more. well there is my input. and im sure others will have there input to.

Its all a question of how much money you are willing to spend on 1 and whst you need it for.......stefan

canzus
Car(s): Mk1 5.0L
Mk2 2.8L

Here in the US...

Post by canzus »

you have two distictly types of OBDs,
OBD1, which requires a different cable
hook up for each manufacturer, and
OBD2, which is a government enforced
system that requires every manufacturer
to use the same connector. The problem
is each of them have different codes for
the same problem. So you need a manual
for each manufacturer. But that doesn't
mean you can get "ALL" the codes from the
scanner, body module scans aren't included
with the scanner I have, so if the electric
windows don't work, I have to trouble shoot
it, just like a car built in '75 or so...

SteveL
SteveL
Too many toys to list...