Todays MOT Test

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Todays MOT Test

Post by Beakster »

Yo,

Went for an MOT this morning, and it passed :) Never had a car pass first time until now.

Only problem they found was one of the headlight bulbs. I never bothered to check them cos I wasn't expecting a pass so really just wanted a list of things to fix for the free retest.

Guy says he could fit a new bulb there and then and pass it, so I said ok. 15 mins later he still wasnt back so I went to see what he was doing. Found him with the bezel and headlight assembly on the floor, so I showed him the little plastic cover you can remove to get access to the bulbs. lol :)

Only thing they flagged up that I wasn't sure about was "movement in N/S hub assembly". Is that wheel bearing related?

Cheers
-ChrisImage
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

could be

Post by Supercharged Nat »

could also be a worn tca bush or tie rod, but thought they would be a little more detailed than that.

simple to check for wheel bearing though. jack it up off the ground take hold of tyre top and bottom (not side to side) and then rock up and down. if theres any play with will feel a slight knock as you go from top to bottom.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

But, be aware....

Post by mjcapri »

A small amount of lift is OK. If the bearings are over tight they'll wear very quickly. Sorry to be a pedant LOL.