Is it me................

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
injection444

Is it me................

Post by injection444 »

Has the number of postings on here dropped now that there are 2 sections to post in?
thesnake505

i noticed this as well

Post by thesnake505 »

duno why thou, maybe its put people off???FUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

yup, it isnt working.......

Post by Terra-Kotta »

and i dont understand why the change was needed in the first place.
its a pain an the backside flicking between the two, when one did fine.
Sonic
Car(s): 2.8 efi Special
1.6 LS

Agree

Post by Sonic »

Have to agree here. Ever since the two forums split the posts dropped... I really don't know why this is.

I don't understand why it was a good idea to split them, there is alot of fanning about to check both pages.

Its all because of a CP nonsense induced knee-jerk to keep the topics separate.

If it wasn't broke why fix it?
aerosam

just goes to show...

Post by aerosam »

How few posts were actually technical Q & A in the first place.

I think this format is better, keeping tech and banter seperate doesnt clog up the q&a board and should make it easier to scan through for tech info.

Mark came under pressure from some members to alter the format of the board, which he did. we cant just flip flop and get him to change it back now. At the end of the day it's his site to do what he wants with.

I know we pay subs but he's obviously put a lot of effort into the new format - give it a chance guys.Efi Pinto's rock!!!
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

At last, im glad someone else started this off...

Post by rich_jc »

There really was no need for the change, it seemed like a knee jerk reaction to a thread about something none of us really care about.

Maybe we dont ask many tech questions anymore because we are all getting knowledgeable about our cars.

The site needs more members, something I dont see many of.

Rich"bar weep granna weep ni ni bong!"
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

So how do we get more members?

Post by Beakster »

Is this site listed in any of the mags like RetroFord or ClassicFord?

I don't think it costs anything for a club listing and if the address was printed it would maybe attract some new members.

Might be an idea for someone to contact them and see if they will come to DICC and take some pics for a feature.Image
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

I can think of 5 little reasons putting new members off...

Post by rich_jc »

And on a serious note, I personally would find the new page banner a slight put off to anyone who isn't in the pic.

It's all getting a bit "clickey" (spelling?).

Rich"bar weep granna weep ni ni bong!"
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Hmmph

Post by nigecapri »

Predictable!
The fixed pages of the Capri Laser site (i.e. most of the links on the homepage)are free to use so I would expect most new or occasional visitors will browse them along with the forums & For-sale pages then leave the site.
The two forum pages, the chat and the for-sale pages are the functions of the site that we alone can use unless someone goes through the rave of registering (and I did have a rave to get on)
Mark has been given a few pointers on how to help with recruitment & fund-raising but from reading his previous posts it's apparent that he's not deeply interested in actively pursuing new members - his costs are covered and that's it.
This site could easily be the most dynamic capri site on the net and show a fair profit for the owner above costs but our hands are tied. Without suitable input there's not a lot we can do.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Stable door

Post by nigecapri »

The horse bolted as soon as it saw those five little things!
Putting the new piccy up won't make a blind bit of difference to that but the R&R Page is effectively ours anyway, we pay for it & use it so it's nice to have a photo of us up there.
What we have is pretty much the same as a hotmail account that we all have the password for and can contact each other anytime on and an MsMessenger account to chat on in real time.... apart from the fact that those are free to use :)
SpikeCapri

Re: Hmmph

Post by SpikeCapri »

I'm not on the group pic:( lol but i have only myself to blame as I was not there

i too have noticed a drop in the number of postsImage
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Rich - 5 Reasons?

Post by andrewg1323 »

Andy C
Me
Beakster

Nah i can only think of 3 :lol:---------------
Andy
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

What are the five little things?

Post by Major_Tom »

..are they quid shaped?

And 'cliquey' is the word you mean :)
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
capri_sam
Car(s): Cosworth BOA, big exhaust, little bitty axle, bright yellow interior. Not exactly subtle.

5 little things?

Post by capri_sam »

Actually the thumb isnt a finger, but yes, if they were that little you might have trouble typing... Or indeed driving, which means you probably wouldnt want a ford capri.

Problem solved! Just buy everyone prosthetic extendable fingers and we'll be sorted!
Total number of friends who have so far managed to open the passenger door first time: 1.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Re: Hmmph

Post by -JC- »

A club listing in a mag doesn't have to go through Mark does it? It can only really be of benefit to him and I'm sure he wouldn't mind? Would it be wrong to promote the site on other forums?

As for the 2 forums (fora? dunno what the plural is lol) I think maybe it did actaully work better as it was, but I'm still happy with it like this, it'll seem better when we're more used to it I'm sure.ImageJC|2 LITRE LASER AUTOMATIC|STRATOS SILVER
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Neil_M
Car(s): 1980 2.0 GL, diamond white with vinyl roof (oh yes!) - Daily Driver

I'm not offended ...

Post by Neil_M »

... by the banner pic at the top of the page! And I don't see who would be either - it's just a photo of some of the members of the group having a good time at a show. What's to be offended about? Actually I think it's good, it shows a bit of community spirit and also shows new and prospective members the kinds of things we get up to here.

I know I'm not a prolific poster here (I do lurk a lot though), mainly cos I still haven't passed my driving test and the Capri's off the road at the moment pending 'L' plates coming off but I'm sure I'll be posting much more frequently when I do pass my test and have to deal with the reality of using a 27 year old car as a daily driver! Once that's out of the way I'm looking forward to getting out to some shows and meeting some of you guys too.

I've found this place invaluable for the few little bits of technical stuff I've needed to know thus far, but it's also great because bar the odd spat here and there, everyone gets along so well. It's a great little community, you can imagine half the conversations going on in here happening over a pint down the pub instead, and I'm looking forward to being a bigger part of it when I finally get my wings.

As for the '2 forums' idea, I don't really know the politics or ins and outs of why it came about, but I think it's a good idea. One forum for 'shop talk', one for general chit-chat. Most forums have more than one area these days so I don't think it's a major problem to click between the two. The only thing I would suggest is maybe changing the name of this forum from 'Rant & Rave' to something simpler like 'Community' or 'Chat' or 'General' or something like that, that makes it seem maybe a bit less cliquey or threatening for new members?

Cheers
Neil