MK2 Wiring Finaly Started

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Matty28i
Car(s): Mk3 2.8i not a 2.8i any more... 2.9 24V BOB Long Term Project.

Mk3 1.6LS Now 2.0lt powered 4 speed rocket box. Work in progress daily driver.

MK2 Wiring Finaly Started

Post by Matty28i »

Well as the weather was so good today I've started to run the replacement loom.

After much thought over the last few weeks, the logical place to start was to fit the engine bay loom, 2 round connectors next to the fuse box first. Leaving the engine bay loom dangling.

Work could then start positioning the replacement loom in the shell at the correct place on the dash. I've got a few items connected back in already. There will be the inevitable differences such as the ignition barrel wiring has a different connection block, different light arrangement and where the hell does that wire go etc. etc.

Anyway todays progress below.

and remains of some of the old loom.

If the weather holds out this weekend I may have most of it sorted out, as in position then comes the fun part of rectifying all of the differences.

Have a good Bank Holiday Weekend.

Matty28i
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

It'll all be worth it in the end....

Post by mjcapri »

That's what I tell myself anyway. You've just reminded me actually that I need to resume work on my blue one, starting with some wiring lol.

Will you be coming on Sunday then Matty? If not, have a good weekend!!!!
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

You're a brave man matty...

Post by rich_jc »

Seeing those pics sent shivers down my spine, I hate wires!

Thankfully, all mine are there (I hope).

BTW, is that a 4 spoke mountney wheel I see in the passenger floor well?

Rich"bar weep granna weep ni ni bong!"
Matty28i
Car(s): Mk3 2.8i not a 2.8i any more... 2.9 24V BOB Long Term Project.

Mk3 1.6LS Now 2.0lt powered 4 speed rocket box. Work in progress daily driver.

Re: You're a brave man matty...

Post by Matty28i »

Rich,

Been learning a fair bit as to how to read the electrical diagrams, a couple of weeks ago a friend called round and tought me most of the stuff that looked a complete nightmare!

Most of the loom on your car should just hook back up to where it came from. It looks scarey, but at least your loom was not fire damaged. Basically all the upgrades on the MK3 need to be adressed for the MK2. Those in the know tell me it's straight forward as the looms don't have computers and are old technology.

I replaced the dash on the 2.8i Rich. It looked a nightmare when all the wiring was exposed. Not so. It will all go back together as most wires will only go so far as a certain component.

Modern engine bays look scarey as hell. Truth is they are dead easy to connect the wiring back up. Multi plugs that only go back on one component etc. Point of reference was when I helped a mate change a Golf 1.8T engine a couple of years back he'd labled all the connectors so he knew where they would refit. The replacement engine turned up on a pallet with the full wiring loom for the engine still attached. 2 multi plugs on the bulkhead and job was a good un.

I've just got to get every thing placed and reconnected where appropriate.

Then comes my nightmare situation, why does it not work. I'm not a sparky so, hopefully the contacts on here at work etc. Will be able to help. I've learnt a fair bit as to what does what, who to read the diagrams, multi meters for checks etc. this is going to be a steap learning curve.

Matty28i