Jesus.. I thought the 2.0 had an annoying exhaust...

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Jesus.. I thought the 2.0 had an annoying exhaust...

Post by Major_Tom »

..well it took me four hours to get the exhaust sorted.

Firstly, the 2.8's chin was too small to mount the wheelramps, so I had to jack it up and slip a ramp under each wheel.

Then I had to crawl under and undo the most rusted nut I have ever encountered, it took about 30 minutes of PlusGas and swearing to free it and then half of the bolt threads came off as a curious swarf.

Then I found the rusted tip of the downpipe had fused itself to the mid section on a molecular level, so I took the whole section down to an exhaust place.. it took him 30 minutes to get it out using a blowtorch, molegrips, a hammer, screwdriver and three of us bracing the exhaust..

Then I had to mate up the tailpipe and the downpipe to the midsection.. that tailpipe is rediculous, I thought my 2.0 had an overly complicated series of twists and turns, but the 2.8's is like some crazy automotive pasta, only more coiled. Then I had to take it all off again because the clamp broke, then put it all back together, only to find the exhaust is mysteriously slightly too short at the engine end, so had to find another two inches of length.. during this time, even though it was on wheelramps, I was so constricted and confined that I couldn't even open my mouth at one point....

But....

IT'S DONE!

Just the other side to do now :(
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: Jesus.. I thought the 2.0 had an annoying exhaust...

Post by Beakster »

Well done mate. I hate exhausts, worst job ever.Image
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

I hate....

Post by 340truck »

...the bloody things too - never can get them to fit properly or seal properly at the joins. Always after hours of struggle you think you've got it right, go for a test drive and hear it knocking somewhere. The avoidance of hassle is worth the price of a fast fit place to do it.
computershack

�60..

Post by computershack »

I paid local exhaust place £60 to fit mine. Was a full Ashley system with tubular manifolds. Glad I did. Took them a 6hrs at a place with all the tools, spares, a proper ramp and a bloke I know with 15 years experience of fitting exhausts.

Thank God I know them. If it'd have been the proper hourly rate it would have been £240. I hate to think how long it would have taken on the side of the road with axle stands.
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

Conor, I estimate four days...

Post by InvalidBoy »

and that just be the time it would take you to stand back up with that back of yours!

Even 'lifetime' stainless systems are a pain. I removed the stainless system from my e30.Image Image
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!