So you mega jolt guys...

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

So you mega jolt guys...

Post by rich_jc »

Now you're getting it all sussed, has it been a worthwhile venture?

I am, like im sure a lot of others here, completely baffled by all your "mj" talk, yet still intrigued as to how its all gone.

Maybe once all you three (Beak, Nat and Snake, sorry if I missed anyone) have it all up and running, you should contact classic/retro ford to see if they'll do a feature on you all.

Rich"bar weep granna weep ni ni bong!"
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

sounds like a good idea

Post by Supercharged Nat »

but you forgot Colin and Nige! their the reason i decided to got for mine! ive only driven mine for 5 mine today, but the results already look promising.

it cost me about 100 all in and was a very easy job to do. the mjl and edis system are very simple when you get your head round it. im hoping for a stronger pull higher up the rev range and improved economy and better response. so far the throttle response and smoothness has improved and it pulls better in the mid range and a little better higher up. (but remember this is just my own base map- it could be well out from its final settings yet).

so far its been worth it because it means i can run more advance on my forced induction motor than i could before (and dial in what ever retard i like around the 2500-3500 rpm band where pinking is more likely). ignition advance is where power comes from (and economy when crusing) so if i can dial in as much advance the engine will take before pinking (and provided the fuelling is right) il make the most power possible.

you might be thinking that you can tune dizzys to do that (with different spring rates and weights), but they will always be a compromise. the megajolt allows me to much as much advance as possible under every circumstance (engine load Vs engine speed).

il let you know in a couple of weeks when ive finished tweaking it all whether its deffo been worth it (im sure it will be)Image

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: sounds like a good idea

Post by Beakster »

I've no idea how much mine has cost, but its too much! :) I bought a lot of tools I didn't have so I could do this. For me the hardest bits were making the VR sensor bracket and mounting the trigger wheel.

I think I really just did it because I used to do electronics at uni and enjoyed it and liked the idea of doing a bit of soldering.

I already had a pretty good ignition system, Ignitor + Flamethrower, but I'm hoping for more fuel economy with MJ and like the idea of plugging it into my laptop :)

I still got big issues with mine tho, so will have to get back to you once its all working.Image
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

"MJ", "plugging into", "Lap top"....

Post by mjcapri »

I thought I told you lot before!!!! Call it something else! LOL!