MY CAR BROKE

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
daisyduke
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 mark III Laser running 115bhp

MY CAR BROKE

Post by daisyduke »

this post should prob go in the Q&A but i think more people read rant and rave...

Last night my car broke down about 2 minutes down the road from me leaving work. I had only got up to about 3rd gear and i started losing drive, everything went all crunchy, and then the engine cut out as i was pulling over (all this happened when it was hammering it down with rain so i couldnt even hear properly what was going wrong)

so then it wont fire up, it just makes this EEERrrrgghhh noise when i turn the key, so i ring my dad (whose only a couple of miles away and comes down) and the RAC who were very quick also.

none of us can fix it on the road, my gears are fine, it turns over but wont fire up, we check the cam belt in case it had slipped, all fine. The carb is actually blowing fuel up and out like a volcanoe when engine is turned over rather than sucking, so the conclusion we came to is perhaps it's slipped a valve and damaged a piston...

i get towed to wilshurs garage in wimpole (it's about 6.30pm by now so i'm thinking im gonna have to dump it there over night) and luckilly pete bauldwin is still there (i'm not sure he ever goes home!) and they say they'll take a look at it in the morning but they reckon its the valve too. They are also backed up for 2 weeks :(

so..... now i'm thinking, best case scenario, it's not done too much damage if i'm lucky and we can repair it... but if it's gonna be expensive or if theres loads of damage i'd be better off putting a new engine in...

What does everyone think?

(which will lead to my next post)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

No problem. �100 for a good 2.0 engine...

Post by Major_Tom »

..you'll never have smiled so much in your life :)

I'm sure Glyn could point you in the right direction when it comes to engines.

As the saying goes, old Fords never die, they just go faster.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
thesnake505

hmmm

Post by thesnake505 »

only thing im thinking is that u could repair that 1.6 cheap :) remember no one wants a 1.6 engine (with a few exeptions ;) ) and im faily sure a 1.6 pinto dont bend valves with the loss of a cam belt, i remember jumping a tooth on my old 1.6 and that didnt do any damage! also if u do need head work have a look at this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pinto-Ford-OHC-1- ... dZViewItem im watching it for me self as a spear but if u need it go for it! also drop a 2.0 cam in it as head off and makes a nice diffrence! also u could pick up a 1.6 engine for a lot less then a 2.0 as every one swaps a 1.6 for a 2.0!

hth snakeFUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

Oooh! Oooh Ooooh Miss! *hand waves in the air*

Post by InvalidBoy »

1600s DO bend valves. Glyn told me so and I played with a spare I had. They bend valves.

Normal tune 2litres do not.

A 1600 to 2litre swap keeping the 1600 box and diff will give you surprisingly swift acceleration. But motorway cruising will be a pain.

Some 1600 boxes (mainly 4 speeds) have a 20 tooth flywheel, whereas most 2litres have 23 teeth items.

You may also need the 2litre 'thrust bearing' (tee hee).

All that said, a 1600 will cost you £30 for a good engine!!!

Have a standard 2litre cam fitted, a weber twin choke and a 421 exhaust and You'll love the revvy nature of the little un!

IMHO, the best conversion is the one I did, EFI 2litre strapped up to a 4 speed 1600 box and diff.

Decent economy, quick through the gears and starts first time every time...

...which carbed pintos do that???Image Image
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
thesnake505

i stand corrected then

Post by thesnake505 »

learn sumit new each day :) theres always the big valve head for a 1.6 on the bay as well, that is if u want a bidding war with me lolFUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
Stefan Capri
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri S 2.9 EFI

told ya so

Post by Stefan Capri »

:)......stefan

Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Is it fixed yet?

Post by Peter-S »

Had something very similar on mine a year or two ago, particularly with the fountain effect in the carb - it was the float needle sticking in the down position meaning that fuel was flooding in every time it was turned over and the only way out was up!
This might be a bit late but I've been playing catch up after a holiday.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
haydn_gnarlerboy
Car(s): Crap 2.0 laser capri, fully modded and fully falling apart.
3.5 V8 Ford Popular (mainly daily driver)
Don't do the nuts up tight on stuff anymore as it'll only have to be taken off in a week anyways....

could be head gasket....

Post by haydn_gnarlerboy »

mine did that, if you get a blow between 2 cylinders the valves will be open letting fuel in one chamber and that'll blow out and come out the carb in another....that's a 20 quid gasket kit and 3 hours work....Steal not my pictures else thou shalt incur my displeasure.....Haydn Barker