Beak's Megajolt Update

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: ok:

Post by Beakster »

Hey,

The misfires are still happening after checking HT leads, putting a new plug on VR sensor, checking continuity on VR sensor cable and shielding.

Running without MJ connected gives same problems so its an EDIS issue.

So I think its related to one of my components. The VR Sensor was new so I think thats ok. Tomorrow morning I'm going to stop by the scrap yard and get another EDIS and coil pack and try them out. I'm thinking EDIS is most likely culprit.

-ChrisImage
Beakster
Donator
Donator

and........

Post by Beakster »

I reckon the timeout I'm getting when trying to watch the system as it runs is because of the cheap USB -> Serial adapter I'm using.Image
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

sounds a likely cause

Post by Supercharged Nat »

im using one of those cheapo cables too, but havent had any problems with mine yet, fingers crossed!

does sound like a edis issue to me too. like you say try another coil pack on edis modual. if its still no good id suspect wiring somewhere.

i hope you manage to get to the bottom of it buddy.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Beakster
Donator
Donator

Pretty Much Sorted

Post by Beakster »

Been down scrap yard this morning.

Got and EDIS (probably the last one there, too ages to find) and Coil Pack. The owner was on the desk so he stung me for 30 notes for them two bits :(

I hooked the EDIS up and immediately the misfire and backfires went away. So I'm pretty sure original EDIS I had is faulty. Probably from being sat in a car with the bonnet open in the scrap yard for years.

I just plugged my new EDIS in and left it hanging by the plug (rather than bolting it on) as I was already late for work, so there is a very small chance that there is a loose wire in the plug that is held more firmly because its hanging. I will do some more experimenting tonight to determine for sure.

Tonight I'm going to stop by Maplin/PC World to buy another USB -> Serial adapter, as mine doesn't work with the run time data. If the new one doesn't work either I'll have to buy an old laptop with a real serial port.

On the way to work this morning, it still wasn't as smooth through the revs as the Dizzy, but I think I just need to remap it. It was also running rather hot, but that could be an airlock caused be removing the radiator to get the puller on the pulley.

So I'm getting there :)

-Chris

Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

glad to hear it!

is that the map your currently using? that is the std pinto map, but i cant say who came up with it, could have faults with it etc.

is your motor standard or have you done anywork on it?

I dont understand the map to be honest, as the load axis is well off.

it shouldnt really go above 102 (as that atmospheric pressure) so it going upto 150 odd seems more appropiete for a turbo motor etc.

id try re numbering the load axis to more realistic numbers: 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 70, 80, 90.

i would also re number the rpm axis, change the 500 for 800.

see if that helps, i dont actually know if it will but it seems more logical to have realistic axis.Image

capri_turbo

Re: glad to hear it!

Post by capri_turbo »

net's right... change the figures in the "map" axis to what Nat suggests. that Map is setup for TPS hence the odd numbers in the load bins.Image

A Capri is for life... NOT just for Christmas
thesnake505

one small question i think i know the answer to, but any way

Post by thesnake505 »

is the map the same for a 2,0 and a 1.6, im fairly sure they are as i think a 2.0 dissy will run fine in a 1.6?FUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

ah that makes sense Col!

sorry to hear of your trouble by the way mate, you dont deserve that. chin up. if it gets too much, go get that turbo finished off ok?

Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

Snake, im not 100% sure

but i suspect they are the same. i think at some point with my old engine i had a 1.6 dizzy in my 2.0L and it didnt seem to mind. i suspect the map thats mentioned before would be fine untill you get around to tuning anyway.

(obivously itl need to be tuned with your carbs anyway)Image

Beakster
Donator
Donator

Re: Snake, im not 100% sure

Post by Beakster »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I would never have known that map didn't look right. :)
I was running with that map today and the temp gauge was right at the top after 10 minutes. Also it wasn't feeling too good. Almost like it was juddering slightly even though I was maintaining a constant speed.

I'm sticking it back on the dizzy for now as I wanted to find out if the over heating is possibly caused by an airlock introduced when I removed the radiator.

I started looking around for a quality USB -> Serial adapter, but looks like that are £20+ and the fact that I'm running Mac OS X as my primary OS introduces another layer where things might go wrong. So I won a new laptop on ebay today which has a serial port. I been meaning to get a garage computer for a while now. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow.

The hardwork is behind me though, just need to iron the last few kinks out. :)Image
Beakster
Donator
Donator

Grrrrrrrrr!

Post by Beakster »

Right, took the dizzy off and put the MJ back on today. I used the new laptop I bought, with a real serial port to try and monitor it, but same bloody problem!!! Argh! So that means its my serial cable thats at fault. I found it in a box in an office so it could be 20 years old and might not have any shielding in it. It gets a error reading runtime data as soon as the engine starts, so I think its noise on the wire.

I uploaded a new 2d map and tried driving it, but its still running crap. I checked all the wiring again and swapped the coil pack but still no good. I'm thinking my VR sensor might be at fault now as it was knocking around the garage for a few weeks before I put it on, and it ended up covered in iron filings.

Once I get this new serial cable, hopefully I can monitor the engine while its running which will help me find the problem.

Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator

have you tried this:

reinstalling the configurator software..... might help and worth a try.

i did read a problem on the autosports site where someones else laptop would do the same as yours, once started it would say the message your getting. i forget the outcome of it though but it would be worth searching the forums to see its can help you out.

i cant understand how mine works perfectly and yours is so much trouble?- cant be that much difference in our setups. wierd.

have you posted on the autosports forums? im sure someone on there will be able to help more than all of us put together!

if the vr sensor is the only thing you havent replaced, then id try that too, gota be worth a try. are you 100% sure your pip and saw and vr sensor wires are sheilded and earthed?

if it still no good, id suspect the idntion leads again. how did it run when put back on the dizzy?Image

thesnake505

leads, and sensor and a known good edis

Post by thesnake505 »

are going to be fitted today, one by one to try sort the peblem, snakes gona take them down, we gona try and getting it working tonite for the ace cafe show tomoro! i wondered about the sensor leads being wrong way round? also what about the air gap thinking about it, if thats to big could it be missready??? getting a weak singnal so to speak???FUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
Beakster
Donator
Donator

Re: leads, and sensor and a known good edis

Post by Beakster »

Ran perfectly when the Dizzy was back on.

I reckon my problem with timeout reading runtime data is dodgey serial cable. I'm buying a new one today.

Regarding reinstalling software, I got a laptop for it the other day and did a fresh install of Windows and MegaJolt Configurator, so should be all good.

I think the sensor could be the problem, and if I can get the computer to monitor it while running this should show up.

Snake's coming down tonight so we'll have a few beers and mess about with it until it goes. If we still can't work it out then it will be Dizzy to Ace tomorrow.

Cheers
-ChrisImage