snakes a happy snake, its a live :-) mjl update

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
thesnake505

snakes a happy snake, its a live :-) mjl update

Post by thesnake505 »

well today i got my car running on the edis limp home mode thing, but think coil pack has had it as getting a weak spark from number one cylender! the timing light strugle to pick up a signal, can me doing sumit wrong cause this or is it as i supect a dodgy coil pack? cheers snakeFUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Nice one snake.....as for the coil......

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Have you considered using a 9v balasted coil? this passes HT voltage down a large cable to a very clever device called a "distributor" these come in contact breaker form or contactless ellectronic form, these fit to the right of the engine as you look at it and is even more clever in the fact its driven off the jackshaft, the clever device then passes the juice via 4 leads to each plug at the right time, clever, simple.....and works!
no more breakdowns at the roadside and no more chasing your tail fault finding!!!

very novel idea this, if you need help with the parts give us a shout.

:) :) :)
capri_turbo

Re: snakes a happy snake, its a live :-) mjl update

Post by capri_turbo »

weak spark from only one????

If you have a weak spark on no.1, you'd expect a weak spark at 3 too as they share the same coil. I'd bet it's leads or plugs.Image

A Capri is for life... NOT just for Christmas
thesnake505

as always colin

Post by thesnake505 »

your spot on, i noticed this after post and having another play, the leads im using were tested on beak car the week end, as was the edis and the crank sensor! is the coil pack at blame for the timing light issues, the light works fine on 2 and 4, but 1 and 3 it really strugles!

other then that i have hook up the mj, and got it talking to the laptop as well! so coming along well me thinks! pictures to follow later

cheers snakeFUN IS NOT A STRAGHT LINE
capri_turbo

Re: as always colin

Post by capri_turbo »

if you are struggling with 1 and 3, then it points to a few possibilities:

1. coil pack could be a duffer
2. the connections between coil pack and EDIS could be poor

the pins in the EDIS plug are not exactly a good tight fit, as I found with mine. I had to clean them all up to get it working properly.

A Capri is for life... NOT just for Christmas