Just took the motor for a good hussing..

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Just took the motor for a good hussing..

Post by Major_Tom »

..after turning the mixture screws 1.5 turns out from fully in (which they were almost at)..

Misfires at 100mph in 5th with the throttle fully open and... more worryingly... oil fumes come up through the gear gaiter (I threw mine away) at that speed. I can't see any sign of oil leaking from anywhere.. where could it be coming from? Crankshaft seal? I'm pretty worried about it. Only seems to happen at high speed. Any ideas? I do thrash my engines, but I don't punish them.. none of that sitting for ages at high revs business..
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

hussing?

Post by Beakster »

Hussing :

1. sexing
2. hob-knobery
3. getting down

"... next thing you know that jezebel is out hussing it up with an exotic, long-haired man-prostitute that goes by the name Esteban."Image
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

"Misfires at 100mph in 5th with the throttle fully open "

Post by Peter-S »

I bet that will screw up the daily drive to work then, lol!

You haven't got oil on the exhaust during the engine swap I suppose and it's just burning off
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Major_Tom

Heheh

Post by Major_Tom »

I took it out on my coffee break.. that's the one good thing about workin in out of town business parks.. windy b-roads everywhere :)

Yeah I was thinking that.. it's definitely coming up from the gear lever area which is open to the elements, not through the bulkhead.. and the exhaust runs past it of course.. but I'd have thought any oil on the exhaust / manifold would have long burned off. I wonder if it's blowing downpipe to mid section.. I'll check it out.. looked like oil fumes to me though.
Major_Tom

An old fisherman said it...

Post by Major_Tom »

..in Lowestoft about his dodgy Clio. "Don't you goo hussin' it now will ye?"

Heh heh. I did though :)
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

When I had oil fumes coming up through the gaitor...

Post by rich_jc »

It was a nackered piston ring, hope its nothing so serious with yours Tom.

Check the crankcase breather isn't blocked, and engine should pull all fumes through the exhaust when on open throttle.

Has it actually used any oil?

Rich
Major_Tom

Re: When I had oil fumes coming up through the gaitor...

Post by Major_Tom »

..when I last checked, this morning, no, it hadn't used any oil.. also, if it was a piston ring, you'd think it would do it all the time, not just at high road speed........

I'll report back when I get home.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: When I had oil fumes coming up through the gaitor...

Post by Beakster »

pack the hole with scrunched up newspaper. That should stop the fumes ;)Image
haydn_gnarlerboy
Car(s): Crap 2.0 laser capri, fully modded and fully falling apart.
3.5 V8 Ford Popular (mainly daily driver)
Don't do the nuts up tight on stuff anymore as it'll only have to be taken off in a week anyways....

you wanna plufg that upmate I lost a lighter through the gai

Post by haydn_gnarlerboy »

things slide through the hole onytlo the road.
MIne gets fumy through the gaiter when idling somyteimes, it's just oil on the exhaust, might be due to a leak though which will need sorting. breather is a good thing to check it gets clogged with crystalised crap and then the whole top end will pressurise and the crank case and everything will leak....
Steal not my pictures else thou shalt incur my displeasure.....Haydn Barker
Major_Tom

10 4

Post by Major_Tom »

I checked it actually.. there doesn't seem to be any excess cranklcase pressure, the (new) crankcase breather is quite loose in the block compared to my last one. Strangely the fumes seemed to stop when I put it back in.. weird. might be back tomorrow though.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

could it be?

Post by Supercharged Nat »

the gearbox rear seal/ prop seal leaking and flinging it over the zorst pipe? then after a good rag it gets hot enough to burn off?

my bros car does that, it has a drip onto the manifold but doesnt burn off till a good trashing.

carb: exactly where were the mixture screws? (how many tunrs out were they before you adjusted them?) turning them out more than they were will richen it up even more. the misfire could be overly rich.

it could be flooding that causing the carb to overfuel as the jetting shouldnt be that far out. try sticking the dgav back on and see how it goes, if all is well maybe get the dgas tuned by a garage who actually knows how to tune carbs properly.

a RR would be a good idea, but its an expensive way of doing it when it can be done at home for nowt.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Major_Tom

Could be...

Post by Major_Tom »

..coz it's weird that it's intermittent.. yeah you might be onto something there. Plus it's not using any oil.

About the carb, I screwed the two mixture screws all the way in and then turned them out, first 1.5 turns, then another tiny touch.. hasn't made much difference. Flooding is what it feels like - in 5th, with your foot on the floor, not a great deal happens. Release the accelerator slightly and it feels exactly the same if you see what I mean, if not slightly more capable.

If you keep your foot on the floor, after a few seconds, the carb spits and the car misfires.

Yeah I'm planning to put the DGAV back on coz I know it's set up for a 2.0 - just waiting for some gaskets, which should be here tomorrow. Will I melt anything if it's too lean a mixture with a hot cam though? I heard I might.. the DGAV ran a smidge rich anyway..
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

The cam....

Post by 340truck »

...will have little or no effect on the mixture, so should be ok with the dgav.