what the hell is this??

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevepeanut
Car(s): 2.8i is now gone, Driving a mk5 cortina, capri wanted around £1000 price

what the hell is this??

Post by stevepeanut »

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html

can it possibly work???
the1theycallthe1

yeap

Post by the1theycallthe1 »

ive got 4 attatched to my pug 106, makes it go like the clappers.........however, strangely reminds me of a pc fan.

google "electric supercharger"......lol theyre all a big joke tbh and dont work at all, hats off to the guy that came up with the idea/scam, bet hes made a fortune out of muppets!
Matty28i
Car(s): Mk3 2.8i not a 2.8i any more... 2.9 24V BOB Long Term Project.

Mk3 1.6LS Now 2.0lt powered 4 speed rocket box. Work in progress daily driver.

Re: yeap

Post by Matty28i »

The Con has been about for a while now!

It's a pitty as the extra "Claimed" fuel savings would be a bonus on my present 16mpg LOL

Stay away from that and the "pretend" dump valve that makes your engine sneeze! Effectively a speaker under the bonnet that claimes to be a dump valve, that will make your mates jealous. How sad it is that the people that are being exploited by huge insurance have to resort to crap mods.

Matty28i
Sonic
Car(s): 2.8 efi Special
1.6 LS

Re: yeap

Post by Sonic »

Basically my logic to these sorts of things is....

"If its never been used in motor racing, its a piece of crap"

So if they advertised active suspension, twin chassis, running skirts, or a photocopied book on how to build a 2007 Ferrari F1 Car, then its good.

In F1 they are brining in flexible wings. Our capris have been using a flexible rubber rear wing for years, which compresses at high speed. And the louvre grill is designed to let more air in under acceleration.

Want your capri to go faster? .... stick to tried and tested stuff like a real turbo or supercharger.

Or the age old go faster stripes... add's at least 50BHP to any car!
CAEDES

Maybe they do work...now for the science bit...sounds like a

Post by CAEDES »

Technically, I reckon they should work to an extent, but not really in the way they all make out...

Personally, I think it all revolves around Reynolds number. The higher the number, the more turbulent the flow.

If you look at the equation for Reynolds number, it looks like this:

RE= qvd/u

Where RE is Reynolds number, q is density of the air, v is velocity of air, d is the diameter of the intake pipe and u is the viscosity of the air.

So, the funky shape should increase turbulence in the stream, increasing RE. Now, the diameter of the pipe can be assumed to be constant and the viscosity (u) shouldn't change too much, which means density (q) or velocity (v) has to increase to compensate. In essence, that means either quicker air or thicker, which in turn means more oxygen entering the chamber. So it should have a slight effect of forced induction. I could be completely wrong here, but that's my guess.

Blatantly though, they don't actually work! It'd take a hell of a fan to simulate a 'charger and an even funkier shaped bit of metal in the intake.

Wow, I sound like a geek. Maybe uni did teach me something, even if I am completely wrong!

Cheers,

C.
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

As has no doubt has already been stated...

Post by InvalidBoy »

they cause more of a restriction than a boon to air cramming. Plus... if more air goes in, will it cause more fuel to go in within the correct ratio???

Glyn really sums it up by saying (paraphrased):
"Such an item can move air, but it will not compress air, unlike a supercharger or a turbocharger"

Image Image
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
CAEDES

Re: As has no doubt has already been stated...

Post by CAEDES »

Actually, the whole idea has annoyed/intrigued me for a while... might dig out a couple of books and see if i can figure it out someday. As for the air/fuel mixture, i reckon it could be tricky, as higher speeds would possilby cause greater/lesser effects, etc. Injection should have the brains to overcome it, but i'm not sure about carbs. Then again, the same could be said for 'charging with carbs - and that can be done.

All in all, I'm just confusing myself now, so I'm off to bed.
canzus
Car(s): Mk1 5.0L
Mk2 2.8L

Re: As has no doubt has already been stated...

Post by canzus »

Trouble is, it doesn't accelerate the air, if anything
that POS is going to slow the airflow down. Nevermind
the fact that air is a fluid, and once through past the
POS it is going to do whatever the hell it wants...

SteveL
SteveL
Too many toys to list...