The new Capri....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

The new Capri....

Post by mjcapri »

Is finally here!!!! Actually it arrived about 13 years ago, we just didn't know at the time.

So what is the mad Northern idiot on about now I hear you ask? (Not literally of course, because we're all sat at our computers and I havn't got round to bugging any of your houses yet.)

Well, as most of you know I used to have a Granada Scorpio which I liked very much. Those of you who've never had one will probably think that makes me a saddo, where as those who have will know what I mean. Anyway, this months Scotch Corner meet turned up some very nice and rare motors. There was however an unlikely star of the show, in the form of Matty's Scorpio Ultima 24v. Indeed, Jamie and Myself were fascinated by it to the extent that we pestered Matty so much he eventually agreed to take us out in it, even though it manages an average of 16mpg.

A few days ago I was seated on an Airbus A320, eagerly anticipating the take off, or more specifically the G-force generated when the plane accelerates down the runway. I'm sure you know what I mean, it's great fun. That sensation is what I can best use to describe the type of force generated by Matty's Scorpio when he floors it. And that's with 3 of us in the car. It even attempts to take off, the nose pointing skywards throughout the very brief 0-100 dash.
Best of all it has real leather seats, unlike Wizz Air's A320s which sport purple vinyl.

So, although you can't buy a new one, it is a relatively modern Ford, the newest ones being only 8/9 years old. It was also the last rwd car Ford sold in the UK, ending a long tradition of wet weather death traps.
They're also fast, look a bit mean, and sound awesome. You can even fix them at home, although the gearbox's aren't exactly D.I.Y friendly. In fact, the only significant way in which the Scorpio differs from the Capri is in body style and comfort levels.
And, they are unbelievably cheap. I won't say what Matty paid for his very nice example, firstly because I'd embarass him and secondly because I don't want to believe it, but it is a lot of car for not a lot of money.

So, if like me you feel a bit guilty about ragging your Capri about all winter, loading it with chickens (joking, although you never know) and parking it in areas resembling a war zone all week, here we have a cheap toy that makes a good replacement.
And lets be honest, one of the best things about the Capri was that they were cheap, fun, and plentiful. But those days have gone and the Granada/Scorpio replaces it, in that context at least, perfectly.

Your thoughts?
the1theycallthe1

from a grandad owner....

Post by the1theycallthe1 »

...i completely agree, fantastic car, if a bit of a barge!

really easy trobule free driving, and cheap as chips, would have another tomorrow!
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: The new Capri....

Post by Beakster »

Yo,

I miss my Granada, but it really didn't feel capri like in anyway to me. Big and comfy, and ridiculously fast. You could be doing 80 on the motorway, put the foot down and it just takes off! Hence putting the 24V in my Capri (Hopefully by the end of the year). I got mine for £200 and it just needed a bit of welding to pass MOT. :)Image
Matty28i
Car(s): Mk3 2.8i not a 2.8i any more... 2.9 24V BOB Long Term Project.

Mk3 1.6LS Now 2.0lt powered 4 speed rocket box. Work in progress daily driver.

Any pics of said car?

Post by Matty28i »

Mark I forgot to take any pictures can you email me any?

Matty28i
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Well that went better than expected....

Post by mjcapri »

I thought you'd all think I'd lost the plot LOL!

Matty, I'll email you a couple of pics.

Mark.