Will my capri work with a non ballast coil if I have a balla

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
haydn_gnarlerboy
Car(s): Crap 2.0 laser capri, fully modded and fully falling apart.
3.5 V8 Ford Popular (mainly daily driver)
Don't do the nuts up tight on stuff anymore as it'll only have to be taken off in a week anyways....

Will my capri work with a non ballast coil if I have a balla

Post by haydn_gnarlerboy »

I thought mine did have one but I ordered a capri coil and got a 3ohm one designed for use without a ballast resistor- surely it wouldnt run right? but it's been on there a few months now and hasnt caused any problems/poor running. Only noticed tonight...Steal not my pictures else thou shalt incur my displeasure.....Haydn Barker
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

If its a 12V coil and you are using points....

Post by Terra-Kotta »

it does burn the points out pretty quick.

if you are on leccy ignition its a 12v coil and no ballast should be used.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: Will my capri work with a non ballast coil if I have a balla

Post by Beakster »

Yo Haydn,

You got aldon/pertronix ignition. I remember reading your post from when you fitted it.

Run a wire from the bullet connector socket at the head light relay to the + on the coil. That will give you a switched 12V feed without any ballast resistor.Image
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Re: Will my capri work with a non ballast coil if I have a balla

Post by -JC- »

I did what beakster said, and it works fine on mine.ImageJC|2 LITRE LASER AUTOMATIC|STRATOS SILVER
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
interstellar_overdrive

same here

Post by interstellar_overdrive »

3ohm coil with the ballast, lumenition ignition => no problem, works fine.

One thing I see would be that we now have a total resistance of 4.5 ohms approximately. That should increase the time constant of the whole and make it bigger. This should reduce the coil's charge during dwell time, no?

Also, I think 12V or not is subjective since what ever the applied voltage is, it's the time to discharge that will make this "back-voltage" on the primary more or less high, and as this time depends on the total resistance (the smallest=>the fastest=>the more the points wearing), I think we should even have less bad effects with our total 4.5 ohms instead of 3...
Of course it wouldn't be the case if it was a 1.5 ohm coil without the ballast...

in my opinion, Haydn and me got a coil that is not used to its optimum performances. It would be better if we had the 3 ohms total resistance, like normal...

I was thinking loud and I'm even not sure about the ballast's value, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Eric
haydn_gnarlerboy
Car(s): Crap 2.0 laser capri, fully modded and fully falling apart.
3.5 V8 Ford Popular (mainly daily driver)
Don't do the nuts up tight on stuff anymore as it'll only have to be taken off in a week anyways....

thanks for that- rewired from the switched supply in the car

Post by haydn_gnarlerboy »

didnt remeber what you'd said to do but it's running and rev counter is working now, funnily enough the starter motor spade connector doesnt seem to be connected ot anything now but if it's not plugged into the starter car won't go....unless it's just the same colour as the lead that used to go to the coil...who knows....Steal not my pictures else thou shalt incur my displeasure.....Haydn Barker