Flying Pintos

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Flying Pintos

Post by Beakster »

Hi,

Whilst looking for information about which Ford engines have been used in planes, I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVE_Mizar

"The passenger space and front engine of the Cessna Skymaster were removed leaving an airframe ready to attach to a small car."

"The Mizar was intended to use both the aircraft engine and the car engine for takeoff. This would considerably shorten the takeoff roll. Once in the air the car engine would be turned off. Upon landing the four-wheel braking would stop the craft in 525 feet (160 m) or less. On the ground, telescoping wing supports would be extended and the airframe would be tied down like any other aircraft. The Pinto could be quickly unbolted from the airframe and driven away."

Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: Flying Pintos

Post by Beakster »

more pics and info here:

http://www.fordpinto.com/mitzar1.htm

ImageImage
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Very James Bond..

Post by Major_Tom »

..Man with the Golden Gun to b exact!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

pic

Post by Major_Tom »

I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
capri_sam
Car(s): Cosworth BOA, big exhaust, little bitty axle, bright yellow interior. Not exactly subtle.

haha, love it!

Post by capri_sam »

Can you imagine what a rough landing would do to the suspension? Or even a smooth 2 wheeled one lol.

I believe the Essex was once fitted vertically into a helicopter if that helps? Seems a slightly odd choice of engine to me but i know I read it somewhere in my supercharging research...

Now to fit VTOL equipment to a car, the capri would be just about perfect! Hyooj open arches and wings, big engine bay for all that gubbins, pretty light when stripped down, low centre of gravity with reasonable weight balance once the engine is out, big transmission tunnel for fitting fly by wire rotational thrust controllers to the rear, reasonable sized boot and undercar space if you shift the fuel tank for fitting thrusters... And still enough room inside for a pilot, navigator, French dictionary and camping gear. Get in touch with top gear!

Yes, i've had plenty of CAFFEINE today!
Total number of friends who have so far managed to open the passenger door first time: 1.