More for the 'Collectors'......

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby andyd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:59 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/a ... -115k.html

Probably never turn their wheels again :(

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 9961
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:22 pm

It's great to see an RS500 in such fabulous timewarp condition. It's a pity that it's not black though.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1671
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby sheff » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:03 pm

£4000 to service it after 6000 miles :shock: Not sure I'd want to drive it if the services costs that much! Nice car though :D

Paul G
Posts: 708
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby Paul G » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:48 pm

I had a 3 dr Cossie in 1989 when it was 2 years old. Paid £11500 for it. Boy I wish I still had it now although the local thieves relieved me of it after about 3 months. Bastards.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby andyd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:It's great to see an RS500 in such fabulous timewarp condition. It's a pity that it's not black though.

Andrew.

I prefer the white :)
sheff wrote:£4000 to service it after 6000 miles :shock: Not sure I'd want to drive it if the services costs that much! Nice car though :D


Good point Neil
Paul G wrote:I had a 3 dr Cossie in 1989 when it was 2 years old. Paid £11500 for it. Boy I wish I still had it now although the local thieves relieved me of it after about 3 months. Bastards.

:( Things haven't changed that much have they..... :twak:

It's strange how the Cossie is now pretty much rich mans money, but the 4i and 4x4 are relatively cheap compared to the Capri even.

Within the XR range the Sierra is a little frowned upon by some as it's not deemed a Hot Hatch......
Having owned or driven all the models, imo it's the best one combining comfort and power.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby andyd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm 100% certain this is the 280 in the above link that was sold by Dr B around 2008/9......It had done 3500 miles then.
http://www.brooklands280.com/3400_miler.htm

Caprifan Rob
Posts: 1067
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby Caprifan Rob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Paul G wrote: the local thieves relieved me of it after about 3 months. Bastards.

Bring back hanging :twak:
andyd wrote:Within the XR range the Sierra is a little frowned upon by some as it's not deemed a Hot Hatch......
Having owned or driven all the models, imo it's the best one combining comfort and power.

A guy at work owned an XR 4x4 in white years ago, drove it like he stole it for years & it never let him down. You're right, there's still some bargains to be had, pricing can only go up though. We'll probably all be kicking ourselves for not buying one in a few years, ok for you though, you got in first :D

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby andyd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Caprifan Rob wrote:
andyd wrote:Within the XR range the Sierra is a little frowned upon by some as it's not deemed a Hot Hatch......
Having owned or driven all the models, imo it's the best one combining comfort and power.

A guy at work owned an XR 4x4 in white years ago, drove it like he stole it for years & it never let him down. You're right, there's still some bargains to be had, pricing can only go up though. We'll probably all be kicking ourselves for not buying one in a few years, ok for you though, you got in first :D

:cheers: :D

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo. 'W' plate. Forest Green Metalic. Restoration project.

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby ESSEXV6ESSEX » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Nice cars. Driven the standard one but not the RS500, been in one doing around 160mph. The standard ones are really nice and not surprised that 500 is tipped to break the bank, bet you won't find another and there are plenty of people with cash. There is talk of the bottom falling out of classic cars and I must say enthusiasm seems to be lowering of late so can see that happening.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby andyd » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:40 am

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote: There is talk of the bottom falling out of classic cars and I must say enthusiasm seems to be lowering of late so can see that happening.

There are quite a few high priced Fords and Capri's still for sale that have been on the market along time now.
Don't think as many people buy in Autumn anyway, but the market has to slow down at some point....

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 6995
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby Major_Tom » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:47 pm

In the Daily Mail no less. Reminds me of the guy that said "oooh, you've really devalued that Capri"... he was a well off bloke. Rewind ten fifteen years and those people would have looked at 80s Fords and the guys that drove them with utter disdain. Or ignored comprehensively, at best. Now they're all falling over themselves and jizzing in their grundies because the price now includes an extra zero.

And they still use the word 'bargain' in relation to the price.

It's ludicrous.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

fordperv
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm
Car(s): too many
Location: stoke on trent

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby fordperv » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:It's great to see an RS500 in such fabulous timewarp condition. It's a pity that it's not black though.

Andrew.


Black is common though even though it does look nice, moonstone blue all the way

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 9961
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:02 pm

fordperv wrote:Black is common though even though it does look nice, moonstone blue all the way

Yes, most were black. I think only 52 were white and 52 were moonstone.
Even though it's by far the most common colour, if somebody offered me one in black, I'd gladly take it! :)

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby andyd » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote: if somebody offered me one in black, I'd gladly take it! :)

Andrew.

Just 4 U Andrew :D https://www.rs500cosworth.com/s/cc_imag ... 1492268795

fordperv
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm
Car(s): too many
Location: stoke on trent

Re: More for the 'Collectors'......

Postby fordperv » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
fordperv wrote:Black is common though even though it does look nice, moonstone blue all the way

Yes, most were black. I think only 52 were white and 52 were moonstone.
Even though it's by far the most common colour, if somebody offered me one in black, I'd gladly take it! :)

Andrew.


In total 56 were white


Return to “Rant and Rave”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests