Can't Beat a Capri

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Can't Beat a Capri

Post by MS Injection »

Yesterday was the first dry day with a sufficient gap between salting (and when I had time between work etc) to consider a spin in the Capri. Well, I say a spin...more like to check if it was alive or not. For reasons mostly my fault, but also to do with the battery dying and delays in the right one being sent to me, I had not even fired her up since October last year.

Connected the battery and it fired up on the first bang on the first turn of the key; in fact it felt like she fired up before I barely even turned the key. That's better than my 63 plate C class. Put a big grin on my boat race before I even reversed out of the garage. It then ran around as if it had only been the day before that it last went out. And of course, back in a Capri after 5 months made the big grin even bigger.

It's probably normal for them to be so reliable after sitting around for nearly half a year (I don't know, not had it a year yet) but I was damn impressed!

Edit: Salted on Monday night. Missed that. Ah well, might dissolve but at least it was a nice drive.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Can't Beat a Capri

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Mike,
Nothing surpases that feeling of pure elation following the first drive after the seemingly looooong winter lay-off. Just the tonic for dispelling any remaining winter blues you may have.
I'm glad your Capri started and ran without a hitch. Plenty more good drives to come, no doubt.
All the best,
Andrew.
andy a
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '69 Mk1 Capri 1300 Daily (now gone to a new owner)

73 Facelift 2000 GT long term project...

Post by andy a »

That reminds me, I should pull the Mk1 out for it's annual see daylight day, always a good chance to rebait the traps on the side that sits tight against a wall, and examine the spider population under the bonnet, but this year there will be a highlight, on it's last outing into daylight I marked up the outer edges of a couple of rust areas on the wings with chalk, it will soon be time to see how far they've spread while the car is in dry storage :lol:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Nice one Mike, hope to see you around. And your title says it all, you can't beat a Capri!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I always disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal and it will start fine after any length of time :)
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

peers.dupp wrote:I'm glad your Capri started and ran without a hitch. Plenty more good drives to come, no doubt
Thanks Andrew. Enjoyed second today. Handed over the keys to my father and uncle to let them enjoy their first time behind the wheel of a Capri in 37 and 33 years respectively (though their main history is Mk2s). Their smiles were epic. Dad managed fine as his longest served was a 3L Mk2 but my uncle was a bit out of sorts with the V6 as his was a Mk2 1600 S. He got home and whipped out the photos of his blue S with vinyl roof. I remember very happy times in both of their cars.
andyd wrote:I always disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal and it will start fine after any length of time :)
I decided that I would do this back in January when the battery died. And take the bolt in with me. One further barrier to it being easily nicked!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I take the bolt out too and place a piece of cardboard on top of the Terminal in case the lead touches when I close the Bonnet :)

Glad the family enjoy it too. My Mrs Step Dad had a few Capri's in the 70's and early 80's the last being a Gold Mk2 3.0 Ghia,
I took the cover off mine for him last week, and I could see he was still into Capri's, might let him have a go one day.......?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: I could see he was still into Capri's, might let him have a go one day.......?
Go ahead, make his day!
I don't mind other people having a drive in mine, under supervision of course! I enjoy watching the smiles on their faces get bigger and bigger as they drive. After the test drive I usually have to prise the keys from their tightly-clasped hand........
All the best,
Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Will you be at either of the Tatton shows again this year Mike?
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Hi Paul

Yes. I'll be at both. Might only have the car at one of them depending upon demand for spaces. Will have to see you there this time!?

I got a lecture off the guy that sends out the gritters in Manchester tonight. He said that it was not safe to take the Capri out due to salt. He said that there's 3 months' worth out there. I drove it the last 3 days.

I invite views. I know salt is bad for cars. But surely it can't be right that after months of rain and cars pounding it, salt from Christmas is still a threat 3 months later? On that logic, it still wouldn't be safe even in the summer. I am sure the most recent salt is the problem? Ok I have driven it within a week of last salting (unintentionally - I thought it was weeks since it was last done) but I am now preoccupied with a fear that I have done damage. Car is waxolyed btw.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MS Injection wrote:I got a lecture off the guy that sends out the gritters in Manchester tonight. He said that it was not safe to take the Capri out due to salt. He said that there's 3 months' worth out there. I drove it the last 3 days......I invite views.
Hi Mike,
You don't have to invite views and opinions..........you know you'll receive them anyway!
Although I fully respect the opinion of the gritter man, I can't see that the salt remains on the carriageway surface in any great quantity. If it did, why do they grit the roads every time it's going to freeze? The residual grit on the surface would be enough to prevent water freezing. As you say, once it's been washed away by the rain and swept aside by the traffic, there's not going to be a lot remaining on the roads.
I think that by Waxoyling the underside of your car and by not using it in the very worst of the winter weather, you have realistically done all you can to protect it from the effects of the salt.
If you were to worry about it too much, you'd never have the opportunity to ever actually drive the car, which would be to miss out on the greatest joy of ownership, in my opinion.
All the best,
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mike,
Another thought. Isn't water required to enable the oxidisation of the iron by the salt in the grit? You don't take the car out in the rain, so there should not be a great risk of causing any damage. That's the way I understand it, although I'm certainly no scientist.
Andrew.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

As for your first post Andrew, agreed on every score.
peers.dupp wrote:Isn't water required to enable the oxidisation of the iron by the salt in the grit? You don't take the car out in the rain, so there should not be a great risk of causing any damage. That's the way I understand it, although I'm certainly no scientist.
Andrew.
My mechanic/bodywork man said the same as that last week. Referred to salty spray being the enemy.

Mike
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

pbar wrote:Nice one Mike, hope to see you around. And your title says it all, you can't beat a Capri!
Hi Paul

I see from your earlier posts that you have been driving your Capri earlier this year. What's your view on road salt? Do you wash the underside after an outing or have you found it doesn't cause an issue for you?

Cheers,
Mike
pbar

Post by pbar »

Hi Mike. Yes, I drive my car frequently all year round, always have, which is what I enjoy. You can't live in England and worry about the weather. I try to keep away from the worst of it but I don't fear it. I've never been too concerned about salt and it hasn't done anything that is apparent. I try to keep the car clean, or at least reasonable, but I don't go over the top. I do swear by this stuff though -

I like to keep the underside 'topped' up with it, when I see an area which looks like it's wearing thin I will clean the crud off and paint some more on, and I'll often finish off (after having done a job) with a few minutes of re-coating.

I will see you at the Tatton show(s) this year, you will be with the Cheshire guys I assume. Good bunch those are actually, I always speak to a few of them. One of my favourite stands too that is.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Got that stuff on the underside of mine already, first thing I did last May after I bought the car (once I cleaned the underside). As it's served you well, I have every faith!

Yep, see you there. Come over and have a chat.

Mike