NEW original parcel shelf on ebay....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

NEW original parcel shelf on ebay....

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Crikey,

I know these are ultra rare in new original condition, but check out the price this is going for... with an hour still to run on auction :shock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-ORIGI ... 2a45216ba0

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Re: NEW original parcel shelf on ebay....

Post by turbo-mike »

If he would post I would expect it to go for around £700"750 as that's what the last ones went for but again selling from the 4 corners of the UK will hit the price if you are not willing to post.
Mike
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Nick,

That's just scary!!! £415 in the end and as Turbo Mike says, if he'd offered delivery, who knows what someone would have paid for it. I know there are purists out there and all good and well to them, but when CCI sell what looks like a dam good replica for about £60, Ouch!!!

I just hope it's as good as advertised for that and I would love to see the Car it's going into.... All the best,

John...
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

turbo-mike wrote: but again selling from the 4 corners of the UK will hit the price if you are not willing to post.
Mike
Hi Mike,

I agree mate. As nice as Lanark is in the central belt of Scotland (maybe a bit chilly), I reckon too it would have got even more if post was available...but I reckon the seller is still pretty happy with his bit of business. Mind you he still has the deductions from paypal and ebay I suppose....

I once sold a dash facia with a walnut effect panel for £165 plus £25 post and wrapped it and sent it to Cork, Ireland...There is no way would I have got this buyer if I had "collection only" :)
Have also posted a full dash out too. Was a bit of a task to wrap it but it arrived in one piece...phew!
Taff40ish wrote:That's just scary!!! £415 in the end and as Turbo Mike says, if he'd offered delivery, who knows what someone would have paid for it. I know there are purists out there and all good and well to them, but when CCI sell what looks like a dam good replica for about £60, Ouch!!
Hi John,

Mate, £415 is way out of my league as original and new as it is ! Like I told you at Brooklands, I wanna replace my parcel shelf cause of the speakers in it. I will get one from CCI like you just mentioned. Then I will get some of that acoustic carpet Andrew got hold of for his shelf. Looked great. But parcel shelf can wait till after Christmas...
Taff40ish wrote:I just hope it's as good as advertised for that and I would love to see the Car it's going into....
John, the description actually mentions "there are a couple of storage marks but I believe these can be removed easily"...

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Good find! As Mike says, the seller has severely limited his market by not being willing to post. Didn't the last comparable NOS item sell for £800?
It's much more than I would be willing to pay, but I'm not surprised that somebody is willing to pay that much. You have to buy these types of items when they're around, as you would be waiting a long time for another one to be offered for sale.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: I will get one from CCI like you just mentioned. Then I will get some of that acoustic carpet Andrew got hold of for his shelf. Looked great.
Hi,
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the CCI shelf at all, it's certainly more durable than an original. If I had bought this NOS genuine Ford shelf, especially at this price, I would be too worried about it getting damaged or fading in the sun to actually put it in the car!

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Have had a CCI shelf before they are really good.

Mine has cracked but all part of the character of the car, as are the few bodywork marks. I wouldn't pay near £400 for one :roll:

If he had bubble wrapped it and covered it in cardboard for postage he would have got a lot more for little outlay.
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

must admit at that price if it had been closer to me I would of bid on that for sure, not sure if I would of won or not but it would of sold for a lot more than that. There are a few things on a capri when doing a top restoration you just cant get, that being the interiors you can fix all the mechanics and body work, but if you have spent 10k+ on a restoration it is the small things like the shelf that will let it down, another thing to get is new spoilers I missed out on one last week I bid £250 but it went for £255.
by the way if I had of won it I would not of used it, as has been said on hear the better option is the cci one, so if I did need one that would be the route I would go as my car is not of a standard for a new parcel shelf.
mike
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

Some folks require genuine authenticity in their classics. Well done to the winning bidder who got his shelf at a fraction of the price as compared to that 700 plus item a couple of years back. 8-)
standard_Man
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Non - Sta1ker has claimed them all

Post by standard_Man »

bought a new one for £30 about 4 years ago.
You never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

standard_Man wrote:bought a new one for £30 about 4 years ago.
Hi,
You did well there, even the CCI shelves cost more than that four years ago.

Another shelf to watch:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-F ... 3f3f61c732

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I wonder just how strong and useful these 'new' shelves are, as obviously they are the same age as all the rest. They don't have the wear and tear of one that has been in use of course, but the materials are still from the same age, so the usefulness and longevity must still be compromised?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:They don't have the wear and tear of one that has been in use of course, but the materials are still from the same age, so the usefulness and longevity must still be compromised?
Hi,

Yes, you're correct. I seem to remember that the genuine Ford shelves of that era sagged by themselves over time, even without any extra weight on them.
I doubt that the buyer would risk having the shelf installed in the car all the time. They will probably just fit it in the car for shows and keep the shelf on a flat surface the rest of the time to try and preserve it for as long as possible.

Definitely not as practical as a CCI shelf, but as has been stated before, someone with a concours car will demand genuine parts.

Andrew.